Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Drsktop Takeover

by nancy48us / July 3, 2004 4:15 AM PDT

On my sons computer, on the Desktop, pop-up after popup appears. When you try to close them out, even more appear. I have Ad-aware, Spy-Bot and Spyware Doctor on his computer. It has also shut off his firewall. It causes system crashes repeatedly and it will not let me connect to the internet. All updates from Windows are on the computer (including the new one from Friday). He is running WinXP Home. Any help is greatly appreciated, but I'm thinking that I am going to have to reformat his computer and reinstall Windows.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Drsktop Takeover
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Drsktop Takeover
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Drsktop Takeover
by Marianna Schmudlach / July 3, 2004 5:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Drsktop Takeover

Download cwshredder here Close all browser windows and click on the fix/next button.

After you are done:

Download Ad-aware from here: http://www.computercops.biz/downloads-file-292.html
Install by double-clicking on the downloaded file.
After installing but before running, update Ad-aware by using its Globe icon.
After updating, shutdown and restart Ad-aware.
Ad-aware is ready to scan and clean your system following these steps:

Under Ad-aware 6 > Settings (Gear at the top) > Tweaks > Scanning Engine:
"Unload recognized processes during scanning."
Under Ad-aware 6 > Settings (Gear at the top) > Tweaks > Cleaning Engine:
"Let Windows remove files in use after reboot."
Press "Scan Now"
Check option "Use Custom scanning options"
Check option "Activate In-Depth Scan"
Press "Select drives\folders to scan"
Select the active partition which is usually C:
Press "Next" to let Ad-aware scan your drives...
If it finds "bad" files and registry keys, press "Next" again
Right-click in that pane and choose "select all"
Press "next"
When it asks to remove all checked items, Press "OK"
Close Ad-aware, reboot your system and go on to Step 2 below.

Spybot S&D
The download for Spybot S&D is available here: http://www.computercops.biz/downloads-file-108.html

Install by double-clicking on the downloaded file.
Run Spybot S&D from desktop icon or Start menu.
Press "Search for updates" button to get list of updates available.
Press "Download updates" button.
Close all IE windows and close & restart Spybot S&D.
Press "Check for problems" button.
Have SpyBot remove all it marks in red by pressing "Fix selected problems".

Close Spybot S&D, reboot your system .

Problem gone?

Collapse -
by nancy48us / July 3, 2004 5:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Drsktop Takeover

How can I do that if I cannot connect to the Internet?

Collapse -
by Marianna Schmudlach / July 3, 2004 5:53 AM PDT

Do you have a second computer?? Or a friend or neighbor??

It can be put on a floppy !

Collapse -
by nancy48us / July 3, 2004 6:14 AM PDT

yes I can use my computer (which I did to send previous questions). Also I tried his again and I did momentarily connect to the internet but then it crashed within a minute and now, again, will not let me connect.

Collapse -
by Marianna Schmudlach / July 3, 2004 6:28 AM PDT

did you download cwshredder to a floppy and put it on his computer and let it run and fix ??

Collapse -
by nancy48us / July 3, 2004 12:29 PM PDT

Did Everything you said to do and still not running correctly. I really do appreciate all your help. Now I have no clue as to what it is. Guess I'll just reformat it, and start fresh.

Collapse -
by Marianna Schmudlach / July 3, 2004 1:40 PM PDT

Please go to http://209.133.47.12/~merijn/files/HijackThis.exe
http://www.mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/
http://downloads.net-integration.net/HijackThis.exe

and download 'Hijack This!'.
Unzip, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
Press that, save the log as a .txt file, and copy and paste its contents into your next post.

Most of what it lists will be harmless, so do not fix anything yet.

Post here:
http://www.computercops.biz/ or
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/

Collapse -
by LarryD / July 3, 2004 5:13 AM PDT

unwanted popups that appear when you aren't on the internet, the problem is Messaging Services (which SHOULD be disabled). Messaging Services can be used to force pop up ads on your computer, even if your browser is not open! The average home user doesn't need this service.

Here is how to disable:

* Click start / run...
* Type services.msc
* Scroll down to messaging
* Right click and select Properties (or double click)
* Set to STOP
* Set start up type to DISABLE
* Click Okay

Learn more at TackTeck's "Stop Mysterious Popup Ads in 2000/XP" http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=210

Collapse -
by nancy48us / July 3, 2004 6:16 AM PDT

That was done previously, but Thank You Larry for your response and help.

Collapse -
Nancy: 3 ideas from a know nothing ...but forest for trees:
by tobeach / July 3, 2004 4:03 PM PDT

Lavasoft Adaware has run into a new nasty(& yours sounds nasty) called VX2. They have had to creat a special plug-in to tackle it. Available form their dwnld page.Once you've dwnloaded, check its version 1.0.1 not just 1.(upgraded)(check properties with a right click & version tab). Exe it and let it instal in Adaware under the plug-ins button.
Then run it.Worth having for the future if not this prob.
>Has he a hosts file in his browser? I didn't think I did but when went to look, there was one placed by an invader which listed every AV & Anti-spyware & help site I know of (exceptAVG!!!). This prevented connecting to any of those sites which being first user intent, might have looked like no connection. If so delete.
>>Did you turn of the System Restore before cleaning attempt? Keep it off till reports clean cause any old point could be re-infecting!! Same goes for CWShredder use.
>>> Sorry! 1 Extra: A recent virus (Sasser?) had a symptom of constantly rebooting the puter. Could you have a double whammy at work? That plus the hijacker?
Do you own a chain saw &/or battle ax? Little levity to save some of your hair! Good luck! Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?