Windows 10 forum

Resolved Question

Dropped Verbatim ext had now making clicking noises?

by Brizee_2014 / May 12, 2015 8:13 PM PDT

Hi, my external verbatim had fell off of my PC today and now won't show up on the PC.

When plugged in the lights all come on but it makes about 6 clicks then stops.

My googling shows it's probably not good, I need to recover all the files as its all work related and a complete disaster.

What's my cheapest options as I have looked at $2500 prices online Sad

Brizee_2014 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dropped Verbatim ext had now making clicking noises?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dropped Verbatim ext had now making clicking noises?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Brizee_2014

Collapse -
Re: dropped
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 12, 2015 9:04 PM PDT

Well, the exact price depends:
(a) the exact damage
(b) the company that does it
All you can do: ask a few different companies for an estimate.

Not having a backup of files you don't want to lose is not a good idea. And since it's well known that external disks are rather unreliable, having your only copy on an external disk is an even worse idea than having it on an internal hard disk. What we recommend: original on external hard disk, two backup copies on different devices, preferably one of them on another location.

And yes, recovery can be quite expensive. But usually cheaper than making them all from scratch again. Let me see: 100 hours work for 50 dollar an hour is 5.000 dollar. That makes recovery cheap.

Kees

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks
by Brizee_2014 / May 16, 2015 9:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: dropped

Thanks Kees_B I appreciate your response.

Collapse -
Answer
put in refrigerator
by James Denison / May 13, 2015 9:13 AM PDT

then hour later try it and if works, move data off quick. If that doesn't work, try in freezer, then see if it will work for awhile. Otherwise, it's data recovery methods, professional type.

Collapse -
Freezer didn't work.!
by Brizee_2014 / May 16, 2015 9:45 AM PDT
In reply to: put in refrigerator

Ok So I put it in the freezer for 2 days pulled it out, put it in a fresh zip lock bag in a container of ice and nothing!

It still makes the same sound and is not visible on the PC, looks like I am up for the expensive route. Sad

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!