Question

dropped my laptop

I dropped my laptop about three feet onto the hardwood floor. There isn't any damage to it other than the screen. It won't work unless I press on the corner of the screen. There is also a green line on the left of the screen. Is this a problem I can fix for cheap or can I do it myself?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: dropped my laptop
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: dropped my laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Costs do vary

Are you saying that some etxt display is present when the corner is present as if it was working as it should? Or is this you get something to display besides the green line, etc.. basically, most laptops can be repaired for some costs, but cheap is aren't a good word to use when a tech has to do this. But, you gave no clue as to what the laptop is as some models are easier to repair and a user could do this provided you have some skills and capable to even try. I leave that up to you. Check online or call numbers you find to get an idea what costs maybe, but add to that any S/H as added cost as well.

tada -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
some clarification

I can see lines running across the screen at first and then it freezes on them. When I press on the corner it will work right but when I let off it will keep the image that was on the screen before I let off it. But if I press it again it will go to the screen its really on. Does that help? Also it is a hp pavilion dv2 model # dv2-1039wm.

- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Have you tried this yet?

Connect the laptop to an external monitor and see if it outputs to that screen normally. You may need to press some keys to do this but I can't tell you which ones. You'd need the instruction manual. If your laptop outputs to the screen, the display is bad. It has two main components if the older cold fluorescent tube type. One is the high voltage card (sometimes called an inverter) and the other is the screen which includes the backlight. These are replaceable by persons with the proper skills. If you want to try this yourself, you'd need to know the proper part number of the screen in your laptop. You can usually find used screens on laptop repair web sites. If you have the work done by a shop, expect to pay at least 3 to 4x the cost of a used screen. You now get into the decision process as to whether or not repair is economical or worth while.

- Collapse -
Answer
I don't want to upset you

But a tech would use that clue to try to see if the unit can be saved. It appears you don't do this repair work so my advice is to get your files safe before you ask for repair quotes.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
Get it for repair

It seems that your display panel has some internal issue, better if you could take it for service but don't forget to backup your important data.

CNET Forums