Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Dropped in to say Hi

by TONI H / March 20, 2009 8:47 PM PDT

Spent Xmas up north with family...haven't been there since my mom died four years ago, and Derek and Heather drove up from Manassas so this was the first time in at least 15 years that all of us were together at the same time (except for Derek's wedding). I hit Goodman's restaurant and brought home a whole corned beef (best in the world, I swear) and Colazzo's Bakery for the most mouth-watering cannolies this side of Italy you can find (brought home a couple dozen)...freezers are wonderful things. lol

I'm now a great grandmother...I left for home before I got a chance to see the new baby tho because weather conditions were getting serious and I had a dog outside here. And Derek and Heather are pregnant so that will be my 8th grandkid in September.

Went to Manassas two weeks ago and stayed a week (took both dogs with me this time) to help Derek and Heather move from their rental house into the one they bought. Got a great deal (VA appraisal dropped their asking price by $32K and the sellers agreed to it) along with nearly 2 acres. The fence people came last week and put up a real nice black chainlink fence with two sets of gates for easy walk in or drive in access so a good chunk of the treed/forest area is set off for their two labs. Huge deep, three car garage that easily fits his truck, her car, AND the hauling trailer they bought.

I got them a tiller as a house warming gift so a large veggie garden is already in the works....talk about a man psyched to the max about getting 'back' to working the land AND being a father. You can hardly believe the conversations we've been having lately...lol

He's got about two years left of this last re-enlistment, and took another advancement test last week. Leaving his options wide open for now, but those options are pretty heavy for a young man. I'm so happy he HAS options considering what else is going on all around this country for far too many others.

Been starting seeds in the house already for the veggie garden here and sharing with Derek and Heather...he's coming down with the trailer the first week in April so he can load up more wood for burning next winter. The Xmas tree farm guys were here in the fall and cleared off my land. All those trees are being hauled off by Derek little by little (he can fit five or six on his trailer after cutting off the branches) and he figures there will be enough here to last his entire freaking life and then some before they are all gone. lol But he brings the chainsaw, and rents a small backhoe or skidster to drag and load, and just keeps plucking away at them...and loves every minute of it. If the name Paul Bunyon wasn't already taken, you would swear he would claim it. lol

I hope everyone is well....it was nice to see the 'same old' familiar faces in here this morning, even the ones I couldn't see 'eye to eye' with. lol

TONI H

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dropped in to say Hi
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dropped in to say Hi
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like all is well with you, son and family
by James Denison / March 20, 2009 9:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Dropped in to say Hi

sure nice to have a few acres, especially for gardening. I picked up a 5.5hp tiller for $150 on craigslist, about 5 yrs old but NIB, never used. Hope to get in bigger garden myself this year, but still probably smaller than most, about 24x48. That should support over 200 plants though allowing 2x2 space for each. Main focus will be salad stuff like tomatoes, cucumbers, some early lettuce, yellow and zucchini squash. No corn, the squirrels here will attack it. One day I'll move back south to Florida and be able to garden more.

Son might think of setting up a regular woodlot there, where you put out trees set 5' apart and crop them for firewood once in awhile, using coppice method. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coppice That method creates firewood quicker since the root structure is already there to provide quick growth for new main shoot (trim the extras off first year or two).

He might also consider a corn stove and grow a half acre just for heat fuel. I did a computation here in Maryland and it would take 2.5 acres of average bushel yield of field corn dried to do a complete average winter in 2000 sq ft house. Still, half acre's worth can be a heating cost savings.

If he's looking for a cheap but new cast iron woodstove I can recommend the following which I ordered last year and used this winter as worth every penny and more. Order in summer and get on sale, I paid under $300 for mine then.

Collapse -
I started a thread about your . . .
by Coryphaeus / March 20, 2009 11:13 PM PDT

whereabouts. I was concerned but got no replies.

Collapse -
I came in here in Oct
by TONI H / March 20, 2009 11:59 PM PDT

to let everyone know about Ray Harinec's passing away, but other than a couple of posts in XP, haven't been around so never saw your thread. I would have replied had I spotted it.

I hate winters...usually end up like a lump just watching tv or reading waiting for spring to show up so I can play in the dirt again. Lots of stuff to do outside, and nothing to do in the house. I'm a lousy 'housekeeper'....can't see the point of wasting so much of my life dusting crap that needs to be dusted again in two or three days. lol I would rather BUILD it than CLEAN it....much more interesting. lol

Cleared out nearly everything I had computer wise...gave away much, threw out most, and lost interest pretty much in researching new technology so I'm totally useless in the forums now. Ray always did my research for me and made me look much smarter than I really was the last couple of years. I got stuck in the MSDOS, W95, W98 expertise and liked it so much that moving to XP was almost scary for me. lol I fool around every so often with fixing somebody else's computer (mainly family) or wiping my own here and there, replace a sound or video card when needed, but otherwise, the computers here are turning into more dust collectors or something for somebody else to use when they visit.

The sunshine, dogs, land, and projects that hold my interest long enough to finish them have become my normal routines of late. Wondering if, at 62, I've finally reached 'middle age' enough to be having a crisis here. lol I find myself getting so p-o'd watching the news that I have to force myself to turn it on or read it on the net. I keep wondering what has happened to common sense and have come to the conclusion that it's gone out of style. It doesn't seem to be politically correct to use logic and reason anymore. Stupid phrases like "Danger, Danger, Will Robinson" and "Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid" come to mind more frequently.

And both stimulus packages have frightened me to the point of mind exhaustion that I even dream about the dangers facing the next two generations. Unfortunately, many of the programs that got us out of the Big Depression are against the law today, and the laws we DO have are insane. lol

TONI H

Collapse -
What got us out of the "Great Depression"
by Steven Haninger / March 21, 2009 12:09 AM PDT
In reply to: I came in here in Oct

Some will say it was mostly WWII and not much of what FDR did otherwise. That's sad to think of but maybe it's more true than we want to believe. I've often thought that one issue we face today is that population explosions produce people faster than there is work for them to do. I'd have to wonder is a disastrous culling of the human herd would actually result in greater prosperity for the survivors.

Collapse -
The difference between then and now
by Angeline Booher / March 21, 2009 1:15 AM PDT

The driving force behind the US economy then was on production and the work force. It then changed from that to speculation and the stock market. We became a nation living on credit

FDR had an unemployment pool to call upon and was able to get manufacturers to retool from refrigerators and autos to the weapons of war. With so many off to the war zones, Rosie left her apron at home and took up a riveting gun.

What the history books can't capture is the feeling of patriotism FDR was able to generate and his success in making us feel we were doing something to help the war effort. In addition to giving family members to the military, citizens accepted personal sacrifices resulting from rationing.

After the war there were not enough jobs for returning serviceman. But some opted to take advantage of the GI Bill for education and to buy a home. "Levitttowns" began spring up around the country.

The controlling forces are different, so perhaps the same sort of programs will not work. However, maybe, just maybe, having the population being busy might. So much has been neglected for so long that some are having trouble chewing gum and walking at the same time. Having to face head-on what needs to be done could provide the inspiration to awaken the American sprit and creativity.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
My opinion re: the difference
by TONI H / March 21, 2009 2:23 AM PDT

between 'then' and 'now' is that the feeling of the people hurting the most (the little guy) is that they are absolutely alone now and trying to figure it out on their own; whereas during the 'then' everybody KNEW they were in the same boat and everyone pulled together to rebuild. The little people know how to survive...they easily can go back to basics of growing their own food, using a butterknife when they can't find a screwdriver, barter between each other, see the need for the original 'mom and pop' stores in neighborhoods and band together to start one up, repair what's broken since they can't buy new, etc. That comaraderie is familiar with the troops...everyone being in the same boat....and it's the same with communities. It will come again.

The people who have been wealthy either NEVER had to scrape and cut back or they just don't remember HOW....and they are the ones who panic looking for a quick fix. The little people are shaking their heads in disbelief at the stupidity but they still aren't being listened to. The arrogance disgusts me.

This country WILL come back....and it will be because of the LITTLE people taking control again and not feeling helpless anymore. Right now, the control has been stolen from them left and right by others who always felt superior. It won't be much longer before the revolt comes....and it will be a huge surprise to those who have no clue it's coming (anymore than they had a clue what a financial train wreck there was lurking in the background, or they had a clue and ignored it).

TONI H

Collapse -
Good post. You and I think the same way.
by Paul C / March 21, 2009 9:22 AM PDT

Because of the Balkanization of American society, we have been conditioned to think in terms of "us versus them." What you state in your first paragraph WILL come true - if only because the present paradigm is no longer sustainable.

We WILL go back to small communities - if the global leviathan state doesn't swallow us up first...

Collapse -
There's absolutely nothing better
by Angeline Booher / March 21, 2009 1:27 AM PDT

..... than hearing from too-long absent friends!

New home, child on the way, wonderful news about Derek and Heather! They weren't married for very long before he left on an extended cruise. it was time for being a "landlubber"!

The weather is now starting to cooperate with crop raising! Nothing like those home grown vegetables!

So glad to know you are OK, Toni. Pease don't be a stranger.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
damm! but it's good to see you Toni
by jonah jones / March 21, 2009 1:42 AM PDT

shoot!~ if i had a barrel of whiskey right now.....

jonah "off to do the happy dance" jones

Collapse -
As always
by TONI H / March 21, 2009 2:11 AM PDT

As I read some of the posts here, SE either makes me laugh out loud, smile, frown, or get ready to do battle. I will always love this joint because if nothing else, SE gets the brain juices flowing and causes people to actually THINK, no matter what side of the fence that thinking falls on. It's the only place I know of where you not only can keep your friends close, but your 'enemies' closer. LOL

I may not be here everyday, but I'll be back more often I think. I miss you guys. You break out your bottle, I'll break out mine. I'm having a GREAT morning. Thank you, my friends.

TONI H

Collapse -
Well MERCY my soul. This is like a...
by Jack Ammann / March 21, 2009 2:52 AM PDT
In reply to: As always

...breath of fresh air. It is so wonderful to see and be with some real people here on SE. May God bless you hun and may the density of your presence be ever increasing.

Collapse -
Hello, Jack
by TONI H / March 21, 2009 11:23 PM PDT

It's nice to see you still around, too. I changed ISP's recently (had earthlink satellite modem service...but since they already use Hughesnet equipment, I switched directly over to them for less money per month recently). As soon as I get the new email service set up with them, I'll be in touch with my old friends still in my address book. Tell Mark G and Glenda I said Hi, please and that I'll 'see' them soon. Be well.

TONI H

Collapse -
Great to hear from you again Toni.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 21, 2009 11:01 PM PDT

And that Heather is pregnant. Derek too?? He'll be worth a fortune.

I don't want to spoil your time here already but, how's your sister? Devil

Mark

Collapse -
Derek is already
by TONI H / March 21, 2009 11:19 PM PDT

worth his weight in gold....but I'm biased. lol Heather is milking the 'honey do' list for all she can and he's turned into Eddy Murphy's counterpart of 'ok'. (hoping you have seen RAW or one of his other standup routines so you know what I'm referring to)

Sister is still the pita she always will be....I have a complete and assembled mobo, cpu, hsf, and ram in a box ready and waiting for when one her two computers goes down. She refuses to let me ship them to her because she claims that when I die and can't work on her computers anymore, she won't spend the money on a local shop to put it together for her. She won't attempt to do it herself...all because of the freaking small pin connectors for the power button, hdd led, etc. This from a broad who can tear down and rebuild a small engine (like on a weedwhacker) and read a truck manual to replace pvc valves, etc. lol

Hope you've been well, Mark...

TONI H

Collapse -
good on ya Toni, and best wishes for your now very extended
by Ziks511 / March 24, 2009 1:14 AM PDT

family. I am green with envy over your son's new property. Talk about the right time to buy.

Best of luck, and drop in often,

Rob

Collapse -
Real estate
by TONI H / March 24, 2009 2:29 AM PDT

According to what I've been seeing regarding the upwards direction of Dow Jones, existing housing is up over 5%, spurring that direction. Properties have been devalued so drastically that they are now affordable and are being bought up. I'm suspecting that a great majority of those buying now are actually military or ex-military because they can not only get VA loans but ones with decent ranking get housing benefits. Those benefits not only pay rent but can be switched to actually making the house payments while they are still active in the military.

So our military ultimately 'saves' the country again...this time, economically.

TONI H

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!