General discussion

"... drop the standard for the First Lady ..."

"First lady Michelle Obama appears to have violated Illinois law -- when she engaged in political discussion at a polling place!

Illinois state law -- Sec. 17-29 (a) -- states: "No judge of election, pollwatcher, or other person shall, at any primary or election, do any electioneering or soliciting of votes or engage in any political discussion within any polling place [or] within 100 feet of any polling place."
"You kind of have to drop the standard for the first lady, right?" the official explained late Thursday. "I mean, she's pretty well liked and probably doesn't know what she's doing."

http://drudgereport.com/flash2.htm
http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/obama/2802576,first-lady-casts-early-ballot-in-chicago-101410.article
http://www.chicagotribune.com/videobeta/?watchId=1d278a0d-2dc6-4de0-938c-0369c217a22e

Don't like those links try these --
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=hts&oq=&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLL_enUS310US311&q=FIRST+LADY+CAMPAIGNS+INSIDE+POLLING+PLACE

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: "... drop the standard for the First Lady ..."
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: "... drop the standard for the First Lady ..."
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
were the black panthers guarding the door too?

this sort of crap has to stop.

- Collapse -
One can only hope everyone is treated the same way as FLOTUS

She wasn't talking to herself was she?

?I told her we supported her and her husband, and we were praying for them,? Deisch said later. ...Political discussion run amuck, outrageous and scandalous, I say!!!.

Anything rules against religious discussion?...She WAS praying for them.

I can see jail time in her future.

- Collapse -
The DRAMA BEGAN?? Ohh, come on...!

She was VOTING for goodness sake!

"The Drama began"? Voting is a drama? She talks about the issues is a drama?

It is Illegal?

Surely the media can do better than that. It's pathetic.

Mark

- Collapse -
I can see it now

Someone drinking Tea outside a polling station?

Campaigning for the Tea Party.

Someone with bags under their eyes (from lack of sleep/or old age and loose skin)outside a polling station?

Campaigning for the Tea Party.

- Collapse -
Yes, it is illegal

anyone else would have been arrested or at least ejected from the premises.

- Collapse -
Wasn't there a very loud squeal

when it was "reported" that Ann Coulter MAY have voted in the wrong place??

Double, double double standard !!!!

- Collapse -
Yes, there sure was.

Typical.

- Collapse -
there was a very loud squeal about Coulter

and now there is a very loud squeal about Michelle Obama

It's good that you didn't defend Coulter...or some might say you have a double standard.

- Collapse -
RE: Ann Coulter MAY have voted in the wrong place
- Collapse -
Interesting timing you have ....
Voter Fraud Complaint Against Ann Coulter Is Dismissed - Capitol Watch
The State Elections Enforcement Commission Thursday dismissed a complaint of voter fraud against national conservative columnist Ann Coulter, saying there was "insufficient evidence" to support an allegation that she wasn't a Connecticut resident when she voted here by absentee ballot in 2002 and 2004.

I don't read Ms Coulter's stuff (I think she's offensive even when I agree with her) and I don't pretend to know what the truth of the matter is re: her voting registration. But I do find it interesting that you posted a link to old complaints about her behavior after the relevant legal authority threw the complaints out. That's a bit like linking to Bill Clinton's impeachment as if it were a current event.
- Collapse -
Nothing "interesting" about it
that you posted a link to old complaints about her behavior after the relevant legal authority threw the complaints out.

She's had lots of complaints about her voting habits, not all of them are old.

From my link

After a 20-month delay, Coulter's case is finally coming up for a vote at a public hearing before CT's State Elections Enforcement Commission (SEEC) on October 14th at 9:00am

AFTER I posted it, I said to myself..."Isn't today Oct 14th? "the day" of the hearing." It was a current event. Like the same day.

Now if we can get Obamas wife, and the person she was talking to, up there and give them a hearing.
- Collapse -
RE: Isn't today Oct 14th

Should be "wasn't yesterday Oct 14th"

- Collapse -
WE???

you have nothing invested in what "WE" do!

- Collapse -
(NT) invested?...NO....Concerned?...YES!
- Collapse -
But just think...

..what fun we could have going onto Moose forums and harassing the Canucks, try and get them all worked up over cane vs maple syrup or something similar.

- Collapse -
RE: what fun we could have going onto Moose forums

Put your antlers on and COME ON UP!.....

Be advised...It's hunting season.

- Collapse -
she lived in dozens of places in five states

she lived in dozens of places in five states and the District of Columbia . (all at the same time?)

I wouldn't like to be her tax accountant. I'm lying....think of the money I could charge.

- Collapse -
Is it illegal, MD...

Yes, something she did was illegal. According to the Chicago Sun-Times, while still in the polling place she talked to Dennis Campbell . When reporters asked what they talked about, Campbell said ?She was telling me how important it was to vote to keep her husband?s agenda going.". That is campaigning, and is forbidden in the polling place. I would think that she being a lawyer as well as married to the President, she should have been quite familiar with the law.

- Collapse -
The law doesn't apply ...

to such exalted beings as she.

- Collapse -
I am curious.

What if she didn't initiate the conversation but was prompted to discuss such things by the people who were talking to her? Would she be campaigning then?

- Collapse -
Would she, Grim...

Yes Grim, that would still be campaigning. A lawyer should have known better.
Consider another situation about limitation of discussion. If in a trial the judge tells the jurors that they may not discuss the trial with others while the trial is going on, they can't discuss it anyway because somebody else asked them to do so.

- Collapse -
in the example you raise, J...
"If in a trial the judge tells the jurors"...

But a judge is not present and giving verbal instructions... specific instructions... at least not in this case.

I would very much like to see what instructions for conduct are publicly posted at the polling site. I would like to know if those instructions are posted where the zone of restriction begins, or if one must enter the zone to view the list of conduct and restrictions.

Going back to my question... if she was prompted by the questions of another to give a response, is that campaigning?

First Lady Michelle Obama became the first early voter at the Martin Luther King Center on Chicago?s South Side...

Amanda Deisch, a social worker, was the second voter to show up Thursday.

She snapped a cellphone photo of the first lady as she took the voting machine next to hear and began voting.

?I told her we supported her and her husband, and we were praying for them,? Deisch said later. ?I told her we?re trying to get the kids moving ? her childhood obesity effort.?

Voter Anna Roberts took the next machine and, as Mrs. Obama finished voting, she allowed Deisch to take another cellphone photo and shook hands with both women.

Obama went back to the desk and handed in her voting-machine key, saying ?Make sure everybody?s voting early.?

She let more voters take photos with her.

?She was telling me how important it was to vote to keep her husband?s agenda going,? said Dennis Campbell, a 56-year-old electrician.

The question in my mind is this... who was she campaigning for? Her husband is not running in the election. Her comment, according to how Campbell retells it, is rather generic, and no candidates name is mentioned. Consequently, who is she campaigning for?

Watching the video and judging from the sound of a shutter closing... I am actually somewhat shocked by just how many photographs are taken while she is voting. Live video taping is apparently allowed too. Wow, that is a lot of coverage being allowed inside a polling station while people are actually voting. Considering the amount of documentation that was done that morning... it should be very easy to produce documentary footage that would show her campaigning for a particular candidate.

Any legal infractions on her part should be very easy to document. Convicting her should be a breeze... don't you think?
- Collapse -
We need a law

That would make all candidates for public office or currently serving in public office, vote by absentee ballot. Wouldn't that be great? No more nightly news shots of this or that candidate entering and leaving a polling place.

- Collapse -
I think that is a good point

Any time a candidate gets a photo-op coming out of a voting booth, it's basically electioneering. I'd imagine that in big elections it's also a bit disruptive to the other voters. Imagine the security detail necessary to allow an incumbent president to go vote and how that impacts other voters in that district trying to vote.

- Collapse -
A photo-op coming out of a voting booth...

is saying, "I voted, voting is something you should do..." but it is not the same as pushing for a particular candidate.

- Collapse -
Seriously?

So when Barack Obama and John McCain came out of the booth smiling after voting for themselves, they weren't pushing for a particular candidate?

- Collapse -
No...

The law is quite clear. You ASSUME they voted for themselves, but they did NOT make campaign speeches.

- Collapse -
Illinois state law...

"No judge of election, pollwatcher, or other person shall, at any primary or election, do any electioneering or soliciting of votes or engage in any political discussion within any polling place, within 100 feet of any polling place," the statute reads.

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/ilstatutes/10/5/17/17-29

- Collapse -
You can campaign, Grim...

Grim, you can campaign for things other than a person. A ballot can have things like propositions, authorizations of bonds, new laws, etc.
Fro instance, the ASPCA could have gotten a proposition on the ballot saying all dogs must have a collar. The ASPCA would have an agenda. This would not be a person. Even not being about a specific candidate and being the agenda of an organization, urging passage or not passing it would be campaigning for that thing on the ballot.
This is forbidden by law in the polling place, and every time I have beel to a poll I have seen signs stating that campaigning within X feet of the polling place is illegal.
If someone says that a person campaigned for a person or the agenda of a person or organization in the polling place, that would seem to be probable cause for an investigation. In the case at hand, such a statement about somebody doing so was made to the press at the time of and in the place of the incident. Even if the press did not record the specific incident, the statement of the eye witness involved should be enough to justify a full examination of the facts.
If Obama's wife did so, I think it could be resolved by her admitting it and admitting that she was in error to have done so. If it was just a slip by a lawyer who have known better, that could be understandable and forgiven by many, but to call it that and be forgiven, first she needs to publicly admit to that error in judgment.

- Collapse -
you keep raising hypotheticals to support suspicion.

As I pointed out, and as it is proven by the links provided by the OP... there was lots and lots and lots of press coverage of the event. There was even video footage that appears to cover from the time she arrived until... ?

It should be EASY to document and substantiate the accusations being made about the woman.

CNET Forums

Forum Info