Computer Help forum

General discussion

Drop down, shut down and start up problems

by PudgyOne / July 3, 2007 6:10 AM PDT

Dell Inspiron B130
Windows XP

I just used the recovery disk.

Computer starts and I now get this message about something caused the computer to shut down, you can start the computer last known config, safe mode start normally. Message will not go away

I even put in the driver disk and there is the Dell OS tools, but it says Java version 4, not 6. so I did not install it.

If I try to use drop down menus, it locks up. When I shut down the computer, it hangs, then when I start it up the next time, it gives me the error message but it starts.

I went to get Windows updates, and it tells me I have to be logged in as administrator. I am logged in as administrator. Ran this

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/

and it validates. I can't figure it out.

Seems when I use anthing that has a drop down menu, Windows Explorer or try to add a picture to an email or save a picture to a folder, if I use the drop down menu, that's it it freezes. Have to use task manager to get out of it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rick

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Drop down, shut down and start up problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Drop down, shut down and start up problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi Rick..
by jackintucson / July 3, 2007 6:16 AM PDT

This sounds like a classic case of malware. When was the last time you scanned and what did you use? And why did you feel you had to use the recovery disk?

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
Only malware I found was com.com
by PudgyOne / July 4, 2007 4:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi Rick..

Was getting a device driver error and that's the reason for recovery.

So if there's no walware, What's next?

Rick

Collapse -
Tom
by PudgyOne / July 4, 2007 5:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Rick

I tried reading and didn't get a lot of time right now.

I read about HP and reinstalled the HP Photosmart camera drivera and program. That did NOT help.

Did not get a chance to work on the the other items yet.

It sounds like it will be a slow process. Instead of shutting down the computer and watching it hang, I am hibernating it.

Just a piece of information, I cannot get into the control panel using my account. I can get there using the safe mode and my administrator account. Everything seems to work fine in the safe mode.

Happy 4th of July,

Rick

Collapse -
I'd certainly install all Dell drivers.
by Kees Bakker / July 4, 2007 5:03 AM PDT

You can always update Java later on. That's the idea of using a recovery disc: bring the machine to the state it was when you bought it.
If it doesn't work then, it's a hardware issue.

Kees

Collapse -
There's a backup section on the hard drive
by PudgyOne / July 4, 2007 10:27 AM PDT

How do I use this?

Will try installing drivers again.

Rick

Collapse -
Sorry, never had a Dell.
by Kees Bakker / July 4, 2007 5:10 PM PDT

So I can't tell you how to go back to the start.

Good luck.

Kees

Collapse -
Installed drivers and
by PudgyOne / July 4, 2007 5:25 PM PDT

no luck.

I cannot get windows updates. It say that I'm not the administrator. I and using an unrestricted account.

I cannot use the send to menu to put items on my flash drive. I can install and update everything else. It's like something maybe with scripting with Windows explorer. I tried IE fix and that didn't even work.

Says I have a valid version of Windows. The start up screen gives me the option of starting in the safe mode, last known config or normally.

I didn't add any new hardware. I managed to install all drivers but still nothing. IE6 and Drop down menu's are the worst. If I use the folder up and click on the files to go down, I'm ok.

Rick

Collapse -
(NT) Can you create another administrator account for a test
by tomron / July 4, 2007 10:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Installed drivers and
Collapse -
Tried that
by PudgyOne / July 4, 2007 11:43 PM PDT

It still doesn't allow me to update it.

Rick

Collapse -
I was just getting ready
by PudgyOne / July 5, 2007 1:44 AM PDT

to copy items for a clean install. I went into my documents & settings then my account. Looked for my favorites and what did I see! Send to was a hidden file. I checked the Windows folder also. It was hidden and read only. Changed this also and presto, I am now updated.

Found out, I was logged in the other day and someone wanted to borrow it. I don't mind, but.., I prefer they use the special acount I have for them. My wife left them use it and I guess they thought they were doing me a favor!? Well, I have everything back on track, again.

Thanks again,

Rick

Collapse -
Good to read.
by Kees Bakker / July 5, 2007 1:48 AM PDT

It's best to use the Guest account for guests. Especially if they can't be trusted fully. And for your privacy.

And never stay logged in when you're not present at the machine. It's easy to switch to the logon screen when you leave or lock the screen (win-key L)

Kees

Collapse -
(NT) Sounds good,I knew you would eventually solve it
by tomron / July 5, 2007 2:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
Had me going for a little while
by PudgyOne / July 5, 2007 3:17 AM PDT

I left the house and the computer will always lock after 10 minutes. I was planning on returning but I got tied up. Someone wanted to use it. I have a special account for this. I guess instead of locking it, I will have to log out, from now on. They have the password for the visitor account.

Spent about 5 days working on this.

Start up error message disappeared as soon as I changed the properties for the Windows folder. I was then able to download the Windows updates. Now I can spend more time with my wife, today's her birthday.

Thanks again,

Rick

Collapse -
I would now
by jackintucson / July 5, 2007 4:15 AM PDT

have a serious discussion with whomever used it so this doesn't happen again. Trust me, if you don't bullet proof your access it will.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
Congrats.
by Kees Bakker / July 5, 2007 4:24 AM PDT

Have a nice day. You've earned it.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?