The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

by Dilbert278 / January 22, 2006 8:14 PM PST

I just made a very interesting post about the state of DRM in my blog, and my experences. Molly and Tom especially would be very interested in this.

Its at

So, um, yeah, take a look, and digg it if your interested. Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DRM GONE MAD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DRM GONE MAD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Problem is
by bulldogzerofive / January 22, 2006 8:58 PM PST
In reply to: DRM GONE MAD

While I am no fan of DRM, I cannot fault RIAA and its members for trying to control their products.

These products are like any other: If you don't want it, don't use it. If you want it, pay the asking price. If people would do that willingly, this issue would never come up.

The only reason these people get away with these convoluted control systems is that so many people mindlessly insist on using their products. Free yourself from crappy industrial "entertainment" and your mind will follow.

Collapse -
That's Not What DRM is Really About
by pkscout / January 23, 2006 4:32 AM PST
In reply to: Problem is

While the RIAA and MPAA always say DRM is designed to stop piracy, the reality is that it doesn't, and they know it. It's really about controlling how and when you get their content and how many times and how often you have to pay for it.

Want to listen to music on a CD player? Good enough. Pay for it. Oops. Now you want to listen to it on your computer. No problem. Pay for it again. Oooo, now you want to listen to music on your portable player. Cha Ching. Pay for it again. Haven't listened to some music in awhile? Too bad, so sad. It's expired and you have to pay for it again.

*That* is what DRM is about for the content industry. NEVER believe it when they say it's just about piracy. If it were just about piracy there are already good anti-piracy laws on the books that could be better enforced.

Collapse -
by Dilbert278 / January 23, 2006 6:48 AM PST

I see your point pkscout....although this is what the RIAA wants us to do, no-one in their right mind would pay for music more than once, would they?

P.S I'm in Australia, can the RIAA still sue me?

Collapse -
by John.Wilkinson / January 23, 2006 7:57 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

The RIAA has successfully gone after people from other countries, including Australia, and won. However, it's harder for them to sue someone outside their territory because they must hire local attorneys, send their own representatives to another country, and follow local laws. (In your case, Australian laws would supersede US laws, though it's comforting to know that last year Australia implimented laws almost identical to our Digital Millentium Copyright Act.)

Hope this helps,

Collapse -
What should I do?
by Dilbert278 / January 23, 2006 10:36 AM PST
In reply to: Yes...

Now I still want to get the music legally, but I'm not sure what to do.

These are my options:

1. Download the music of the music store in question (Bigpond)burn it CD to get rid of the DRM, and transfer it to itunes

2. Buy it from a music store at 3 times the price of Bigpond. Oh, and since I live in rural Australia, the nearest music store with the CD's in question is 3-5 hours away.

3. I cant download it of itunes, because they dont have the CD's

4. Download it off p2p

5. Download it of

See my predicament? I am stuck, and even though I want to download the music legally, it is impossible for me to do so! Thanks alot DRM Sad

Collapse -
I know.
by bulldogzerofive / January 23, 2006 9:43 PM PST

And if you don't want to pay their asking price for their product, don't buy/use it to start with. That way you can avoid all those fees.

Let's take an allegory (I love allegories): cars.

Now, essentially, you can rent, buy, or lease a car. In certain circumstances there are cars that you can get for free. If you buy a car, you can use it however your heart desires, but many people do not do this because it is too expensive.

Similarly, you can buy music if the owner is willing; that involves buying the rights to it and after that it is yours to use as you see fit. Of course, most people cannot or desire not to pay the fees this would entail.

If you lease a car, the owner of the car can put restrictions on where you drive that car, and that is perfectly within the rights of that owner. If you don't like it don't lease it.

Buying a CD or DVD is like leasing some music. Just because you bought the CD does not mean you own what is on it; you simply own the right to use it in the way that the owner has allowed you to. If they wanted to, they could sell you a CD and post on the CD that you are not allowed to listen to the content of it ever. That is not a smart business move but within their rights. Now, I will agree that those in the music/entertainment industry have fallen behind their obligation to inform users what exactly these terms and restrictions are, but in principle it is their right to control how their content is used. If you don't like it don't buy the CD.

Then, you have the rental car. Same restrictive possiblilities as the leased car.

I would equate the rental car to a movie or concert that you go see. You get to enjoy the service once. If you steel the car, you will go to jail if caught. If you film the movie you are steeling it and will get fined if caught. If you don't like that then don't pay to go into the theatre.

We are not talking life essential products here: It is entertainment that is being produced for profit. The "artsists" are in it for the money as much as anyone else; after all, they do not leave record labels that joined RIAA. If you find their price too high (I agree with you that they ask way too much too often for their product), then don't buy it.

Problem solved.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Nice...very nice. :)
by John.Wilkinson / January 24, 2006 1:41 AM PST
In reply to: I know.
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?