Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

DRM?!!

by Turg / July 15, 2005 1:24 AM PDT

For years I have been happily downloading tracks on various p2p programs, playing them on my comp without caring about anything much except the music. I know I am the scum of the earth for not paying money to the record companies/artists etc. but I like music and I have lots of it.
In the past few months I have been spending less time in front of my computer and more time out and about. I want a portable HD mp3 player that will take all my mp3s and wmas and play them without question. I don't really understand anything about DRMs so they worry me a little bit, I can't find any straight forward info on them and don't really know if they will be a problem or not...

Can someone help me out here?...

If the solution involves actually buying all the music that I already have on my comp I am prepared to do that, except there are some mp3s that I can't buy (such as mp3s recorded by my own band!!), will this be a problem?

Basically, the bottom line is this: I have stumbled into a fairly hardcore mp3 player forum and I want to know if I can just shove anything onto an mp3 player and play it (because it doesn't seem that obvious to me).

grateful for any info,

p.s Please be gentle with me, as you can probably tell, I'm not totally up to speed on portable mp3 players (yet).

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DRM?!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DRM?!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You should be OK
by bozobrain / July 15, 2005 4:05 AM PDT
In reply to: DRM?!!

MP3 files are not DRM protected and should play on any MP3 player. WMA files can be DRM protected, but are not always. Those that are not DRM protected should play on anything that supports WMA (not iPods, for example, although you could probably convert from WMA to Apple's format).

If the WMA files are DRM protected (which I doubt any of yours are), then you have to get an MP3 player that supports DRM-protected WMA files.

Collapse -
ya you should be
by schfifty_5 / July 16, 2005 11:48 AM PDT
In reply to: You should be OK

ya you should be ok. Usually I think its the online music stores you have to worry about. By the way your not the scum of the earth. I bet half the people here use p2p networking including me.

Collapse -
-
by guichoflo / July 17, 2005 8:54 AM PDT
In reply to: ya you should be

Not half, but all people in here uses p2p

Collapse -
true
by schfifty_5 / July 18, 2005 1:21 AM PDT
In reply to: -

ya your right

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.