Computer Help forum

General discussion

drives d and e not detected by windows

well,i finally gave up on my old cd-writer drive,and had a new cd-writer installed(liteon)but now have big problems.after installing the new cd-rewriter,drives d and e dont show up anywhere on my computer,not in my BIOS,not in device manager,and "my computer "just shows me having a floppy drive and drive c.so of course my burner wont work because windows says i dont have any cd-roms on my computer at all.whats weird is that when booting my machine or put a cd in my new drive,the light flashes normally,but won't play because of this problem.i really need help with this,but i must say i am very much a novice about hardware,i can't seem to grasp the slave/master settings,i, just not smart enough i guess,and i dont even know if thats what's causing this.if someone could explain it to me kind of"dumbed down,lol)what steps i should try next,any help greately appreciated.OS IS XP sp2,the new cd-rewriteris "liteon cd-rewrite52x32x52"model number SOHR-5238S06C

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: drives d and e not detected by windows
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: drives d and e not detected by windows
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You should always make it clear what

In reply to: drives d and e not detected by windows

specifically drives D and E are, they can be hard drives, partitions of hard drives, CD drives et al. Seems that you mean the two optical drives.

Who installed them, or is it it, How are they jumpered?
What ports are they/it on. Did you install Nero or other CD writer software at the same time. With XP there can be conflicts with Roxio, because MS usaes a version of Roxio. Here's one link with a possible solution.

http://www.pcwarfare.com/cd-cdrw-dvd/roxio.uninstall.takes.drives.htm

Collapse -
drives d and e not detected by windows

In reply to: You should always make it clear what

i didnt install any cd software,because windows says i have no cd-rom drives,thats the drives d and e im talking about.neither cd-rom will play,because they aren't being deteteced by windows,"my computer"says i only have my floppy drive and c drive since the burner was installed.a freind of mind who is not a tech but had put my last burner in did it,but he can't come back until next week,and im getting low on free space so i'm hoping to figure it out before then.i know nothing about jumpers or primary/slave settings,sorry

Collapse -
I'm guessing a jumper issue

In reply to: drives d and e not detected by windows

cdroms aren't really happy with a Cable Select (CS) setting, and if they are the same gray cable, you have to jumper one as the Master and one as the Slave....then you have to make sure that the end of the cable is plugged into the Master and the middle connector is plugged into the Slave.

Now....in addition to this, certain dvd-roms don't work well as a Master....so you may have to swap the jumpering to find out which one is happy there.

I would start with one cdrom device at a time jumpered as Master and then boot up to see if it's seen....then once it has been recognized, jumper the second one as the slave, hook it up and see if they both get seen or if they both disappear.

If all else fails, try the CS (Cable Select) setting for both of the devices, but make sure you are using one of the new 80-wire cables rather than an older 40-wire cable. You can usually tell you have a new one because the end going onto the motherboard is blue, the Master connection is black, and the middle one is gray.

TONI

Collapse -
I'm guessing a jumper issue

In reply to: I'm guessing a jumper issue

i'm still having no luck.i have a question about the white plugs that are on the back of the cd-drive,they say p4,p7,p5,etc,do they need to be plugged in any certain way,because some are hooked up,and some aren't connected to anything.

Collapse -
White plugs?

are you talking about the power plug with four prongs? If so, there is only one way that it should be plugged in with a power connector coming from the power supply......red wire facing the red line on the side of the gray cable.

The gray cable coming from the motherboard also gets plugged in only one way...the red line down the side facing the red wire of the power connector.

The only other 'plugs' on the back of a cdrom would be sound connectors that go from the cdrom to the sound card or the motherboard if you have on-board sound, and most cdrom devices today don't even need that plug connected anymore.

In between the gray cable and the power connector are the pins that are for jumpering according to Master, Slave, or Cable Select and use only a small two-pin jumper cover (vertically, not horizontally).

Please identify what you are looking at and describing....

There is a possibility that your gray cable has gone bad and needs to be replaced.....pretty inexpensive at under $10 so make sure you get an 80-wire cable if you need to replace it.

TONI

Collapse -
Here's a link to a picture of the back

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.