HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

drivers place

by sagitario3 / July 22, 2005 4:50 AM PDT

I want format my hard drive but, I want copy the drivers of my modem, monitor, scanner in floppies disks because I don't have them.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: drivers place
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: drivers place
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Take a look at these
by Blue_Zee / July 22, 2005 8:23 AM PDT
In reply to: drivers place
Collapse -
floppie won't do it...
by reefurbb / July 23, 2005 10:28 AM PDT

files or backup is too large unless you piecemeal the files.
New burners are cheap now and come with a burn program. Burn a copy of your Windows folder. Drivers are in the inf or inf\other or some are in catroot and other places.
When trying to install drivers after reinstall of W98SE, from Device Manager or booting dialogs, choose "browse" and to the inf folder or "other" first. Then it will ask for other files that you can use your start-find function for.
Best is to first go to device mfg website to download newest drivers. Burn to a CD or save on a spare Hdd.

Collapse -
drivers place?
by sagitario3 / July 23, 2005 2:43 PM PDT

I want format my hard drive but, I want copy the drivers of my modem, monitor, scanner in floppies disks because I don't have them. (I have win98 in my pc.) modem "motorola 56" "monitor Envision 17" escanner hp officejet 7110 all in one.

Collapse -
Besides the files...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2005 11:19 PM PDT
In reply to: drivers place?

You need the registry entries. This becomes such a piece of work that you learn that it's better to collect the drivers from the makers before you format.

Also, I rarely have to format. Most problems can be resolved (but not all) without format.

Bob

Collapse -
looky here...
by reefurbb / July 24, 2005 1:47 AM PDT

1. you still haven't said how you're going to save anything, including downloaded drivers.
2. www.envisionmonitor.com all-in-one drivers availible.
www.hp.com see the right side, blue, for "support and downloads", follow directions to find drivers for 7110 all-in-one, NOTE: 65mb download/
www.driverguide.com free registration. You might find a smaller scanner driver download as the 65mb one also has the software applications, why it's so large.
also Motorola modem has several versions, pci or isa, speaker phone (sp) or not, it's usually a 56sm, or you have to look at the modem for exact model number.
NOTE: save several versions of the modem so you'll have a better chance of one of them working.
IF you won't save your Windows folder for easier finding of your drivers.
AGAIN, floppies won't be large enough unless the modem files (unzipped) are small enough.
CAUTION: run MS scandisk-thorough on floppies to mark bad sectors or you'll find out too late.

Collapse -
Listen to Bob
by El Alquimista / July 25, 2005 3:10 AM PDT

You can't just copy the drivers, they must be installed. The programs Blue_Zee mentions appaently not only copy the drivers, but have reinstallation capabilities. However, it is best to get the drivers directly from the manufacturer's site -- drivers are often improved, and this way you will get the latest. Some of the drivers you copy from your system may now be obsolete.

Frank

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.