Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Drivers' License costs to soar?

Governors: Driver's License Costs to Soar

Fees for a new driver's license could triple. Lines at motor vehicles offices could stretch out the door. Governors warned Monday that states and consumers would bear much of the burden for a terrorism-driven push to turn licenses into a national ID card.

"It's a huge problem," said Democrat Ed Rendell of Pennsylvania. "Trying to make this work, there will be hell to pay." He said it would cost his state "$100 million-plus" to restructure motor vehicle offices to respond to a new federal law called the REAL ID Act...

...But governors were more concerned about the bottom line, for their budgets and for their citizens. Huckabee's prediction: "Lines longer, price higher, frustration certainly greater."...

...The logic of the law is also flawed, said Democrat Bill Richardson of New Mexico, because denying illegal immigrants a driver's license just makes it harder for government and law enforcement to keep track of them.

New Mexico allows illegal immigrants to get licenses. ...

I disagree with the logic that we should extend ANY legal privileges to those in this country illegally.

I also don't see the Chicken Little predictions being an issue unless getting a license is very slack currently. I still lived in NY when the paper licenses were changed to laminated with a picture and it wasn't a big deal. You are supposed to be able to show a certain amount of ID to get a driver's license to begin with. And if you get to sign up to VOTE and they aren't equipped to verify your citizenship, then I want that fixed whether or not there is some nationalized ID.

Evie Happy
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Drivers' License costs to soar?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Drivers' License costs to soar?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just send the illegalk immigrants to the....

In reply to: Drivers' License costs to soar?

deportation office to inquire about their license...

Collapse -
I thought the point of uninsured driver ...

In reply to: Just send the illegalk immigrants to the....

... insurance, mandated in many states including CT was to protect the insured in the event of getting hit by someone that is not. So if an illegal gets in an accident, tough patooties. Deport them and my insurance will cover the damages THIS time. Eventually, there wouldn't be enough left to warrant the insurance requirement.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Re Fees for a new driver's license could triple

In reply to: Drivers' License costs to soar?

how much is a licence now, and how long is it valid for?

Collapse -
In California...

In reply to: Re Fees for a new driver's license could triple

It's $10 for four years. License plates on the other hand are a small fortune based on the "value" of the car. About $285 each for my horses.

Collapse -
you pay for the plates????????

In reply to: In California...

i haven't had the 'pleasure' of buying a new car, but i do know that it's "one price for all" be it Daiwoo or Mercedes...

plus of course, we have a 7 number plate, and not the 'vanity' plates you have in the states...

your license fee is cheap (by our standards) a 4 year license is almost $50 (and when you hit 55, they won't give you the regular 5 year license-$65- and at 60, you get a license for 1 year-$13, and compulsory medical check up is needed too Sad)

Collapse -
You have no auto reg fees?

In reply to: you pay for the plates????????

In CT, a license is $66 for 6 years. Regular vehicle registrations are $75 for 2 years. But add on to that our "luxury tax" paid to the town -- these vary by the town's tax rate and are based on vehicle value. My Accord cost almost $300 the first year. Cars also require emissions inspections for $20 every other year.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Writing this all down made me think ...

In reply to: You have no auto reg fees?

... just the savings on uninsured motorist insurance once all the illegals have been sent home would be well worth the increased license fee. Of course that scenario revolves around the pipe dream that they would actually support illegals caught driving w/o a license/registration.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Insurance is now required in Illinois.

In reply to: Writing this all down made me think ...

Does that mean illegals at least have insurance? No. Good luck trying to find them later when the insurance info turns out to be bogus.

Collapse -
Whenever I hear about the high cost of medical insurance ...

In reply to: Insurance is now required in Illinois.

... I can't help but think of how much we pay to insure a hunk of metal Sad Not only is insurance required, but just in case someone still doesn't ahve it we still need uninsured motorist insurance. Nothing ever seems to happen to those without the insurance.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
I have a question, KP

In reply to: Insurance is now required in Illinois.

I don't have to show proof of insurance when I renew my license. ( do also renew mine by mail/)

But there has been talk of making it a requirement to get a license.

My question is.... as liability would be the requirement...

Some people pay by the month. What is to stop them from not renewing after they get the license? Does your state have any workable recourse for that?

Thanks!

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
My state randomly checks ...

In reply to: I have a question, KP

... and I believe the insurance companies report cancellations. Insurance is required for the vehicle reg, not for the operating license.

It can be costly to get caught, which is a good thing unless it's an accidental lapse in coverage. Several years back we had an insurer that covered the two vehicles on separate policies that had staggered payment schedules and you basically got one reminder notice when payment was due. Perhaps a cancellation notice was sent, but we never received it, and I thought we were up to date. When we went to buy and register a different vehicle, BOY were we in for a surprise. The state had cancelled both the registration of the lapsed vehicle and my hubby's driver's license. With fine for reinstatement as well as the cost of re-insuring the vehicle, we were out almost $500 over what no lapse would have cost.

I have Geico now. One policy for all vehicles and direct payment through the internet. That will NOT happen again! LOL

Evie Happy

Collapse -
This is what something more official states

In reply to: My state randomly checks ...

Q: What if I fail to keep insurance on my vehicle that I?ve registered in Connecticut?

A: Connecticut law requires that all registered motor vehicles have liability insurance. Insurance must be maintained at all times when there is an active registration entitling the vehicle to be operated on the public highway. The Connecticut mandatory insurance reporting law requires insurance companies to report records of uninsured vehicles. Following a matching process of other active insurance and registration records, vehicles in violation are reported to the DMV and will be scheduled for the dreaded ?Administrative Action.? The hand of doom will then befall you, and your vehicle will be subject to seizure, impoundment, and potential forfeiture if seen being driven on a public highway or even if it?s parked. Even if you want to make things right again between you and the state, you?ve got to respond to the Warning Notice you?ll get by, at the very least, getting insurance again and paying a $100 fine.
Collapse -
we sure do :-(

In reply to: You have no auto reg fees?

i asked the ''man'', he said ''whatever the car is listed for $10,000 or $50,000, you add 0.04%, and that puts the car 'on the road', ready to drive away''

the ''plates'' (the actual pieces of aluminum the number is stamped on) are about $24-25 -which is about what you get stung for every 3-4 years cos the place that does the yearly road test has the final word whether your plates are ''faded and need replacing'' -no plates=no car...

Collapse -
The plate fees are our equivalent ...

In reply to: we sure do :-(

... of registration fees it seems, except that we get a sticker to put on our plate, not new ones, and it is routinely every two years.

We also pay sales tax to drive the car off the lot. This depends on the state -- 6% here in CT -- but there's no getting around paying the full amount that your state requires by buying out-of-state unless you have a way of registering the vehicle for a period of time before moving.

Did you mean 4% or 0.04%? Still this sounds equivalent to our sales tax. The ''luxury tax'' in CT (and SOME other states) is paid every year. Although it tapers off as the car depreciates, it never really goes away entirely that I am aware. And if you don't pay the tax, DMV is notified and you cannot renew the registration on ANY vehicle in your name.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
0.04%, payed just once (AFAIK)

In reply to: The plate fees are our equivalent ...

but take into account that a jeep 'grand cherokee' is in the region of $50K, and the Mercedes equivalent is over $60K

Collapse -

In reply to: 0.04%, payed just once (AFAIK)

... 0.04% of 50K = $20 ... 4% of 50K = $2000. Even the latter is less than sales tax in most of the states in the Northeast -- again, 6% here in CT = $3000. That's a one time tax. Then in states like mine, every year we pay property tax. For a 50K vehicle this would be around $600 in a low tax town, probably up to $1000 in a high tax one Sad AND it works out to $21/year more for emissions and plates.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Horse, I presume, means car rather than horsepower. That

In reply to: In California...

would get real expensive real fast.

Collapse -
Driver Education Online Course Cost

In reply to: Re Fees for a new driver's license could triple

Now online driver education course is very cheap. Rate is as low as $29.95

Collapse -
Old post and this should probably get locked but

In reply to: Driver Education Online Course Cost

it should be interesting taking a driver's ed course without getting behind the wheel. Call me when I can just send in a photo and get the plastic card mailed to me. There should be no need to check the organ donor box because people who get licenses this way will probably not have any usable organs for long anyway. Happy

Collapse -
I did see this

In reply to: Old post and this should probably get locked but

but prevaricated what to do. It's a failing of mine! Happy

Now nearly 7 years old I would have locked and deleted which would then have returned this thread to the crypt.

I think I was waiting for any further posts, including links which I could treat as spam, and then I could justify doing that.

Instead I will just lock the thread.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: organ donor box

In reply to: Old post and this should probably get locked but

The younger you are, the better your organs are when donating them. So this must be a required field in this case Wink .

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.