Desktops forum

General discussion

Drivers for video card

I have a Dell Optiplex GX 150 computer. The hd crashed and I have installed a new one. I had to flash the bios also, so it would boot from a cd. Everything went well. Windows 2000 installed and the computer is fine. Well almost. The drivers for the video card did not install. When I look at ''device manager'' it tell me the drivers did not install ''code 28'' what ever that is. So I went to Dell's web site to download the drivers. There are a bunch for the computer. I have looked and looked for the name of my video card but can not find it. So does anyone know where to look? When I look at device manager it says ''unknown device''. What if I downloaded all for the drivers for this computer and where would I download them to? My display looks like well I won't go into that.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Drivers for video card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Drivers for video card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
how bout specs

In reply to: Drivers for video card

what video card do u have?

usually u can download it from nvidia or ati's site

Collapse -
how bout specs

In reply to: how bout specs

That is the question. How do I find out without taking it out of the computer.

Collapse -
Check specs...

In reply to: how bout specs

You want the true correct drivers, you need to physically look at the video card. Read what is found on some decal/sticker or # on main chip and proceed from there. Any s/w process will only report what it thinks is the current driver. I suspect, you have at least the generic default driver from windows to at least see any video. Since, Dell had so many drivers, its makes sense to do this have the video card in your hand to ID. If you have the orginal restore/recovery CDs, look there as well. Dell, may help further if you use your s/n# and enter it and see what the "build" was, if too old, maybe not.

enjoy -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Check Specs

In reply to: Check specs...

Willy thanks for your post. Here is what I was wondering. When I try to update the drivers in device manager I get the option have it look on a cd or floppy. If I download what I find on Dell's site for this computer and put them on a cd would it pick the right one? I have a restore disk for a Dell computer. Since I got the computer on ebay. I don't know if they sent the right one. I also have Win 2000 (which is what the Dell is running)full version on another disk. Do you think it might have the right drivers? Guess I will have to pull the card or buy a new one. Will a after market card work in a dell??

Collapse -
Dxdiag may help for info/test...

GOTO Start > Run > type in "dxdiag" without the quotes.

Collapse -
Code 28 explanation

Collapse -
Found the right ones

I went to Dell.com and found the right ones. Looks great now.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!