Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

drivers for new hard drive

by Kelray / May 2, 2007 5:29 AM PDT

I know I must be missing something, but I am looking for drivers for a new hard drive I want to purchase and I just can't find them. It is a WD500ks. Where I want to buy it from it says that it does not come with the drivers so I thought that wouldn't be a problem and I would just download them off the Internet. That is where the problem is, I can't find them anywhere. If somebody could send me in the correct direction I would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: drivers for new hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: drivers for new hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hard drives dont require drivers
by mark04276 / May 2, 2007 6:00 AM PDT

Are you adding this to an existing computer as an extra hard drive or replacing an existing drive

Collapse -
hard drugs don't require drivers
by Kelray / May 2, 2007 6:17 AM PDT

why does the descriptions say that it doesn't come with drivers if they are needed? Anyway yes I am adding this to my existing system. I just need more storage space.

Collapse -
you will be all set
by mark04276 / May 2, 2007 6:34 AM PDT

may have to change a jumper on the back (master/slave) depending on your setup.

Where are you getting this drive from? Looked on Western Digital site but that model number doesnt show up.

Collapse -
WD 5000 KS
by linkit / May 2, 2007 6:47 AM PDT

Did you mean WD5000KS ?

If so, that's a SATA hard drive. Many OS'es, including Windows XP, require that you provide the SATA driver. The driver, however, doesn't come from the hard drive maker; it comes from the computer maker's website, the motherboard maker's website, or the HDD controller card's website.

Collapse -
Yes true but should already have that installed
by mark04276 / May 2, 2007 7:08 AM PDT
In reply to: WD 5000 KS

cause just adding a hard drive to an existing setup. That is why I asked if replacing or adding.

Collapse -
Good point.
by linkit / May 2, 2007 7:26 AM PDT

I just wanted to confirm that there is sometimes a need for a SATA driver, especially when attempting to reinstall XP or install XP to another HD.

Come to think of it, there is also another driver that may be used on some older computers that don't have native 48-bit LBA. The Intel Application Accelerator is an example.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!