Question

Driver scanner utility

Is there such thing as a program that can scan your computer for drivers, and show if they're up to date? I have a Dell laptop, and have tried the Dell driver scanner utility, but it just hangs at the loading page. Going to the Dell website and entering my computer service tag is fruitless as well because it just gives me a bunch of drivers for devices that are similar but aren't quite the same as the ones on my machine. I have tried Device Doctor, but I get a lot of false positives. Does anyone have any ideas? Oh, and I want it to be free if possible.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Driver scanner utility
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Driver scanner utility
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Personally I'd avoid them. And in your case...

I'd try the Dell Forum here on CNET or Dell Tech Support.

Let us know how it goes.

VAPCMD

- Collapse -
Answer
Why is your machine not at dell?

Is this some dell with a lot of changes? I came across this Dell and over the years the owner had swapped out video, audio and network cards. So for that one I had to go to the maker web sites of those cards.

No driver finder I've seen worked.
Bob

- Collapse -
no

No, this laptop has not had any changes done to it.

I found something called Driver Max that seems to be doing a good job so far. The only downside is that you can only download 2 drivers a day. That's annoying since I have like 15 drivers I need.

- Collapse -
Again.

If I get a Dell laptop and take the service tag to dell.com I find all the drivers I need. But let's forget that for a moment.

Why after decades hasn't the industry stepped up and supplied a "Click Here" to install Windows and your drivers?
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
My laptop is Dell Inspiron 1525

Been asking myself that question myself recently because needing that paying for costing in the $25-$35 range. Have done that job in the past. Although if you would inquire from somebody that is more qualified to answer they could precisely give you the best one available. In my mind is the idea that you get what you've paid for in the end.
My personal preference is the one that has the option that will simultaneously update/install many drivers because my system was purchased 2nd-hand from a pawnshop having been given-up due to issues it was having. Returning the unit to factory-fresh and having to make all the windows updates was bothersome. Each time that thought it has repaired itself then whamo windows crashed/froze up. Luckily the repair function allowed me a reprieve. Years ago my only recourse was to buy the OS and have a tech center reload it.

CNET Forums