Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Driver issue.

by samusgravity / August 8, 2008 8:02 AM PDT

I just installed Windows XP SP2 OEM on my laptop. I finished the installation and am now on my desktop. For some reason, windows can't connect to the internet through my LAN or Wi-Fi. Does anyone know a fix for this? It doesn't even show my lan/WI-FI on the taskbar. I am thinking that it doesn't have the drivers for it.

Thanks
samusgravity

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Driver issue.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Driver issue.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do not guess!!!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2008 8:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Driver issue.
Collapse -
I already know...
by samusgravity / August 8, 2008 8:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Do not guess!!!

That my graphics card is an Intel GMA 950 (which I can get direc tly from their website). And my Wi-Fi card is a Broadcom 43XX. Should I download the drivers from my Internet connected PC, then transfer them to my XP laptop using a USB drive? My USB drives are working thankfully!

Thanks
Samusgravity

Collapse -
Use that as a GUIDE.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2008 9:45 AM PDT
In reply to: I already know...

I don't see where you installed the motherboard drivers.

Collapse -
Oh, Yeah
by samusgravity / August 8, 2008 8:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Driver issue.

I went into Device Manager. There is an area that shows "Other Devices" with a question mark next to them. The ones that had ?s next to them are:

Ethernet Controller
Network Controller
PCI Device
PCI FLASH Memory
PCI FLASH Memory
PCI FLASH Memory
SM BUS Controller
Video Controller
Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

What does this mean?

Samusgravity

Collapse -
It means you didn't find a guide to what drivers you need.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2008 9:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh, Yeah

Use the link as an example of the 10 usual drivers.

Collapse -
Thanks
by samusgravity / August 8, 2008 2:21 PM PDT

I actually just went to Acer's website, and found the drivers for my Laptop. Also, thanks for the link to the post! It gave me the idea of going to Acer's site.
-------------
One of the drivers that I downloaded was for my Broadcom LAN. Inside the contents of the zipped folder were three things:

b44win (a security catalog)
b44win (setup information)
bcm4sbxp (a system file)

What am I supposed to do with these? There is no setup.exe file, so I am not quite sure what to do.

Thanks
Samusgravity

Collapse -
What's the file names?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2008 11:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

You didn't turn on the full file names so I can't tell if there was some .MSI, .INF, .BAT or other clue.

Collapse -
Sorry about that.
by samusgravity / August 9, 2008 3:24 AM PDT
In reply to: What's the file names?

The bcm4sbxp is a .sys file. When I look at the description for it, it reads "Broadcom Corporation NDIS 5.1 Ethernet Driver." It then shows the version, size, company, and date. For the type on the other two it shows "system information" (the b44win file). And "Security Catalog" (the other b44win file). It shows no ".example" anywhere.

samusgravity

Collapse -
I figured it out
by samusgravity / August 9, 2008 5:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry about that.

I got it. I used Device manager to find the .sys file in my Hard drive, then installed it.

Thanks
samusgravity

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?