Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Driver installation problem

by bryanwellander / September 17, 2004 5:38 PM PDT

Hi,
I have an Aopen AW 850 sound card it works fine with Windows 98 Second Edition.
However when I goto install the driver in Windows 2000 it installs however then it makes the CPU usage goto %100 and makes the system unusable.
It is in the same Computer with the same device drivers installed.
Anyhelp will be apperacheated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Driver installation problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Driver installation problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Driver installation problem
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2004 10:11 PM PDT

Please tell about the host machine. As such, I am left guessing if you needed motherboard drivers, a BIOS update or such.

Also, tell about if it's PCI or ISA based. You can save me time if you supply the details.

In closing, what service pack?

Bob

Collapse -
Tell about the host machine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2004 9:57 AM PDT

If it's some Via, Sis or similar chipsets I would expect such an issue. Maybe I missed your post about such, but do fill in the blank.

http://www.computing.net/dos/wwwboard/forum/14265.html notes where another driver might be. You didn't tell where yours came from.

1. Have you installed a motherboard driver package?

2. What make/model machine is this?
Hint: need to know the motherboard chipset.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Tell about the host machine.
by bryanwellander / September 18, 2004 3:47 PM PDT

Hi,

If it's some Via, Sis or similar chipsets I would expect such an issue. Maybe I missed your post about such, but do fill in the blank.

http://www.computing.net/dos/wwwboard/forum/14265.html notes where another driver might be. You didn't tell where yours came from.
It came from apoens website (ftp site)

1. Have you installed a motherboard driver package? No.
It is a Pci card based sound card.

2. What make/model machine is this? It is a home built pc.
Hint: need to know the motherboard chipset. It is an ASUS P48SX-X Intel 4 Processor 2.7 ghz.
I hope this helps.

Collapse -
About motherboard drivers and BIOS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2004 9:03 PM PDT

Such shall be current and installed.

"1. Have you installed a motherboard driver package? No.
It is a Pci card based sound card."

Sorry, but from what I read, there is an Intel chipset driver for that board. If you don't find and install, then even PCI cards can fail.

Reference at http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/printpage.php?id=163 I don't look up and supply multiple references since it is your issue and not mine. I can lead a horse to water...

"2. What make/model machine is this? It is a home built pc.
Hint: need to know the motherboard chipset. It is an ASUS P48SX-X Intel 4 Processor 2.7 ghz.
I hope this helps."

http://www.bleedinedge.com/articles/marketing_hypeii/marketing_hypeii_pg1.html paints a grim picture. You may need to consider an exchange of the sound or motherboard if installing the motherboard driver package or latest doesn't help.

What many only learn (trial by fire) is that Microsoft doesn't fetch or install drivers for us and you may not get a big clue such are needed. The BIOS issue is one that I run into daily. If its out of date, you can suffer.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: About motherboard drivers and BIOS.
by bryanwellander / September 19, 2004 5:33 AM PDT

Hi,
I do have all of those installed.
Why does it work fine with Windows 98 Second Edition that is installed in the same system.

Collapse -
Then I'd change the audio card or motherboard.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 19, 2004 6:39 AM PDT

The audio card in in the 10 dollar range, so a cheap fix.

If another audio card fails to work, then you ask the motherboard supplier to exchange it.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Driver installation problem
by bryanwellander / September 18, 2004 8:28 AM PDT

Hi,
I am using Windows 2000 service pack 3.
It is a Pci based card.
I am also using the most recent version of the driver for the Soundcard.
I have the most recent Bios upgrades for my Motherboard.

Collapse -
Just a recap.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 19, 2004 7:14 AM PDT

I'm unsure if your BIOS and motherboard drivers are current. And I'm not sure you accepted any drivers from Microsoft Windows Update which I see create such problems.

In closing, there are three bazillion devices that work in Windows 95/98/98SE/ME... but do not in NT/2000/XP/2003. All that it means by working in 98 is ... that it works in 98.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!