Computer Help forum

General discussion

Driver finder

by Amos16 / September 9, 2008 7:48 PM PDT

Hello - is there a FREE program that equals Driver Detective? After paying for Radarsync some two years ago and getting no return at all, I am wary of the dollar-prefixed ones. But I do need something to tell me which drivers have to be updated or replaced. Thanks - Amos.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Driver finder
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Driver finder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: driver update
by Kees Bakker / September 9, 2008 8:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Driver finder

I don't think I ever updated a driver after the initial install. Somehow, it always kept on working as it always did.

Anyway, how many drivers do you need to check and what's the time involved to check them yourself on the makers site?

Kees

Collapse -
gotta love Google ;-)
by jonah jones / September 9, 2008 8:05 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Kees types faster than me :-)
by jonah jones / September 9, 2008 8:06 PM PDT
Collapse -
driver finders
by Amos16 / September 10, 2008 1:00 AM PDT

Kees, the trouble is that I do not know which drivers are out of date. My hardware is almost new but my software is on the average six yers old. I have moe than 200,000 files and dozens of programs. "Driver HQ" (driver detective) says I need 17 new drivers for everything to work properly but, of course, telling me which has to be paid for. As I said, I am not inclined to do that. And Google, Jonah, is not much help: it tells you which are available but not for which purpose. Tx - Amos.

Collapse -
hi Amos
by jonah jones / September 10, 2008 2:09 AM PDT
In reply to: driver finders

i just tried driver detective, it told me that i had 15 drivers that need updating

as everything is working OK, i choose to ignore the program and stick to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

jonah

Collapse -
driver finders
by Amos16 / September 11, 2008 1:21 AM PDT
In reply to: hi Amos

Hello - OK, in other words let sleeping dogs lie. Shall try to de-garbage some of my obviously redundant files, possibly this will speed up my computer a bit. Although it is not very slow compared to some I've seen recently. Thanks again - Amos.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.