General discussion

driver download problem

I downloaded the wrong driver for my 98 sound card.
I have a Creative SP\BPCI Direct Sound Driver name - CTPCI9X.VXD and had Version4.12.01.2008

The version I downloaded in error is 5.12.0001.5017. Now my games have no sound at all.

I uninstalled my Sound Card and Drivers and reinstalled from my disk - Sound Blaster PCI 128

However, the driver version remains the same updated number when I view it in dxdiag or via C:\[properties\device mgr.\sound card\driver details.

I do have two Sound Blaster Floppies
1 - driver disk; SB AWE64/AWE64 Gold

2 - Configuration Manager Installaltion disk

Anyone direct me how to return to the earlier driver version with the info I have so that games will have sound? Game I am presently playing is Under A Killing Moon andit did have sound before I tried to update the driver.

Thank you for any help someone can give.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: driver download problem
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: driver download problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
The correct driver is at Creative
Here

You'll need to select "other" for your cards and key in the information for the PCI 128 running Windows 98. Download it and extract the file to a location you can navigate to. Then, update the driver from the hardware list under System in the Control Panel. Use the "Have Disk" option rather than let Windows search for the driver. Navigate to the folder the driver information file is located it. Windows should recognize it as valid and accept it. Good luck.
- Collapse -
driver download problem

Thanks so much Steven for your directions - will follow through and keep on keepin' onHappy

- Collapse -
or, if you have to....

windows-inf-other and see if there are inf files for your sound card. Delete them.
Or, you may have to use F8 to get menu at boot, type scanreg /restore and choose a previous good registry restore point, if you haven't had more than 4 good boot points since the problem.

CNET Forums

Forum Info