General discussion

Drive space is missing

HP Pavilion P2, 98SE, comcast cable,

Last Thurs I removed some files and had 1.4 gig of memory left on my drive.
I downloaded some jepgs and had 1.1 gig left.
Today I get messages that I am out of space and I only have a few mb available.
I know I have not filled it up, I've done very little beyond email, surfing and editing a few of the new photos.
Could someone be hijacking space or a virus doing something. I ran avg, adaware and spybot and nothing was wrong.

Thanks for the help.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Drive space is missing
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Drive space is missing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
A few suggestions:

- Run the Disc Cleanup Wizard to start with.
- Then run scandisk.
- Use Windows Explorer to search for all files created or modified since last Thursday, and see what files account for 1 Gb.
- Download a freeware program call clduw (use Google to find it) to find out how the used space is spread over all your folders and subfolders.

Hope this helps.

Kees

- Collapse -
run defrag...

scandisk should correct "freespace is being reported wrong". Defrag first to give it a chance although it may report not enough free space to use defrag. This happens to a lot of PC's I work on except I use Norton DiskDoctor to correct freespace reporting.
when you open My Computer and check properties of C: drive, you'll see how much use there is.
I sometimes have to open C: and check the size of folders and subfolders to see where it is all used.

CNET Forums

Forum Info