General discussion

Drive name in windows 7

Hi,
when i installed win7, the some of drive letters become just new drive, etc, the name that i have given in xp doesnt appear in win7, same is the case with flash usb drive, any body have the solution why this happiness?

thx
Kami

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Drive name in windows 7
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Drive name in windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Drive Names

Right click on the drive and select Rename to change the name. This can only be done directly with hard disk partitions.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/120247-drive-name-change.html

is a link that describes the way to do hard drive partitions AND removable drives. The latter need to be changed in the REGISTRY, so you are on your own. A mistake in a registry change can cause your machine to die, so back up the registry before any changes.

- Collapse -
why rename

Hi,
well my question was why it doesnt recongize the xp drive name, why i have to rename it in win7 everytime i re-install it?

- Collapse -
Drive Names

That's just the way it is. Installing a new OS deletes ALL of the old OS. There is nothing carried over if you do a fresh install. If you do an upgrade, all user info, programs, etc. are carried over, but the old OS is still totally overwritten.

- Collapse -
name

Hi,
well, there are 6 partitions, and i am not formating or deleting other part. the other part. are name i.e. work, songs, etc, and i just reformat and install win7 on c drive, and out of 6 drive only two drive name are 'new hard disk' etc. other names are same, when i used to install xp on c, it doesn't change any single drive name etc.
same is the case of flash usb it read its name in xp but not in win7

- Collapse -
Yes that changed.

There is some article about this but let's summarize it since I can't find the article. You may find that a drive's name won't match from OS to OS.

Hope that helps.
Bob

- Collapse -
Defender

While I can not solve your problem at least if you folllow my directions....you can still run it.

Hit the Windows button and enter Defender in the search bar. Defender application will be listed in the results and click on the results and it opens up.

My guess is MS wanted Defender to run in the background automatically...I believe it is set at 2 am unless you chnage it....so since they "pre-configured" it to run automatically they decided not to have an ICON installed on the desktop. It was driving me crazy and on how to run Defender....no ICON and it does not appear in List of programs, under start menu......anyway this is what I have been doing for the pass month. Not as simple but again I don't run Defender everyday..I ran Malwarebytes Antimalware.

- Collapse -
Just a quick note.

I wonder if you posted in the wrong discussion.

I had a quick read through the posts, and could find no mention of Windows Defender problems.

Mark

CNET Forums

Forum Info