Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Drive Map Problem

I have 3 computers all XP Pro setup as workgroup.
All are P4 3.0 Ghz 512MB DDR , with Marvell gigabit ethernet, although they are connected through a 10/100 hub. I tested a different switch and got same results.
These are new clean install XP Pro. They are on a LAN that is not on the internet. As such, not running spyware or virus detection of any kind. Also no firewalls.

One PC named "server" has the application data that everyone accesses. The folder on it is c:\yardi

That folder is shared with no restriction (simple sharing)

On the other 2 pc's, each on has the yardi folder mapped as F:. The problem is that when the other 2 computers boot (hot , cold , restart doesn't matter)
the show F: with a Red X and I get an error message saying that some network connections could not be restored.

I tried Net Use and putting a shortcut to a batch file in the startup folder, but it won't even map the drive from there. After I get to the desktop, I can run the same batchfile and it will map fine and is connected.

I have looked for solutions to this, but putting "waits" in the batch file doesn't help since Windows just waits on everything. I think it needs to finish loading the desktop before the batch file runs.
Got any suggestions for this problem.

Also, I put in a line to turn off autodisconnect, so the mapped drives don't lose their connection during the day and we end up with the same problem.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Drive Map Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Drive Map Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Drive Map Problem

In reply to: Drive Map Problem

Merl,

Yep, I know what you're talking about. That phenomenon happens also for PCs connected in a Domain. However, the resolution for that is somehow different. Your batch file is a workaround for that problem and of course it works.

There is a MSKB article close enough with your problem. I'll give you only for reference.

Q330519 - Red 'X' Appears on Home Folder Mapped Drive in Windows Explorer"

Now, let's try the following procedure :

On client PCs, run gpedit.msc to open Group Policy MMC. In the Group policy MMC Console, search for Local Computer Policy -Computer Configuration -Administrative Templates -System -Logon.. Right click the "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon" policy, and choose Properties. In the "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon" dialogue, select the "enabled" radio button, and then select "OK". Restart client PCs.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Drive Map Problem

Cetin, Thanks for the info although it was a no go.
I set the "wait for network" to enable and rebooted 3 times to make sure it "took" with the same results.

Still have the problem. I thought maybe using a DHCP server would make the computers wait at the desktop until they had IP addresses to try to map the drive as well but that didn't help either.

Right now I just made a shortcut to the mapped drive on the desktop. As soon as the systems are booted, they double click, close the window and the rest of the day they have a connected drive.

I don't get why these 3 comps are doing this yet I haven't had any others.

I also tried mapping between the two workstations with the samd result, so it is not a problem with the server.

I am at a loss.
By the way, using a batch file and Net Use won't connect the drive at all at boot, the drive letter won't even show with an X, so the network is obviously not available yet at the time the STARTUP folder items run.

Merl

Collapse -

Merl,

There were always glitches with workgroup architecture and I think that you noticed too. If the users can leave with clicking the mapping batch after logon, that's it.

If you want to experiment other things, I have two suggestions:

1. See if booting the client under Safe Mode with Networking works.

2. Add NetBEUI protocol. For details, read : Q301041 - "How to install NetBEUI on Windows XP"

You are welcome and "Good Luck",

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -

In reply to: Drive Map Problem

I've seen that effect for nearly 10 years. It hasn't stopped us from clicking on the red X drive and it connecting and showing the drive contents. While http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Win2000/Q_21031682.html notes two items that is commonly used, it didn't tell that installing multiple protocols can create a mess. We moved to all TCPIP and have never gone hack. It's very stable for us.

Bob

Collapse -

Hey Bob,
I don't think NetBEUI is going to fix it either.
I guess they'll just have to click the drive.

I don't know why this is the first time I have had this problem, and it occurs on 2 machines.

All of them having P4 and Marvell Gigabit ethernet.
Gigabyte 8IPE1000 Pro G
Is it possible that the network interface (card integrated) itself may be causing this?
I could put in 10/100 PCI cards and disable the onboard NIC.

Most machines I use are AthlonXPs with integrated NIC from Realtek and never had this before.

Collapse -

Just for the record, we learned not to chase this issue too much. It can cost more than replacing the machine, which we do if the owner will pay for the swap out.

It's an endearing bug and for us has no sideeffect other than a cosmetic item in explorer. Our stuff just works in spite of the red-x on the drive.

Be sure you are not chasing a ghost of an issue.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.