Computer Help forum

General discussion

drive lettering questions

by thorlof / August 20, 2009 10:41 PM PDT

ok so recently i installed daemon tools and mad myself a virtuial drive the mistake i make was doing this while my ecternal drive was disconnected
so now the drive letter reads as (H:) instead of (f:) so cause of this i cna to make new paths for this hardrive and readd all my music and sutch to itunes (wich is a 129 gigs i might add) so it took alwile so i gues my question is is there anyway to permanetly assing a drive letter so now matter how many other drives you have connected to the computer it all stayts the same??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: drive lettering questions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: drive lettering questions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No
by Jimmy Greystone / August 20, 2009 11:15 PM PDT

No, drive letters are intentionally designed to "float" and programs are not supposed to depend on absolute paths, because they can break fairly easily.

You can manually switch the drive letters for all but the drive with the OS on it.

I just wish Microsoft would adopt the relative path system that Unix has been using for decades. NTFS is capable of doing this, but it's almost never used. But instead of every partition being a different letter, drives/partitions are all considered part of the same directory tree. So at the application level, there's no risk of breakage like with Windows. My music player might be looking for files at /home/music/mp3/ for example, and then a specific drive/partition is associated with /home/music/mp3/ which can be anything from a drive on a computer half-way across the world, to an external drive connected to a computer on your home LAN, to an external drive connected to your computer, to a drive physically located in your computer. At the application level, nothing cares, it's just another directory/folder as far as its concerned.

Collapse -
set the drive letter
by ramarc / August 21, 2009 1:41 AM PDT

here's how:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844

you should set drive letter of the virtual drive first and then connect the external drive and set its' letter. once set, windows will remember the external drive's letter.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!