Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Drive incorrectly showing as System drive

by weenoid / November 30, 2009 10:42 PM PST

Hello there.

I'm new to these forums. I've checked around for an answer, but no-one seems to have experienced this exact problem.

I have 2 internal hard drives: one containing Windows XP (C: drive) and the other simply containing video files (J: drive). At one point the J: drive did contain a copy of Windows XP so my system had 2 copies of Windows XP running (one on each drive). The J: drive was subsequently formatted but still shows as a System drive in Disk Management. The J: now only contains video files.

Is there a way to get Windows XP to acknowledge this?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Drive incorrectly showing as System drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Drive incorrectly showing as System drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Microsoft and cosmetic issues like this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2009 10:51 PM PST

Since there is no downside to this issue this is why you don't see it addressed. What harm is there to this being shown as such?

It's like those DVD drives that show as CD drives. The video DVD plays fine in spite of that cosmetic error.

Yes, I know today's newer to PC crowd wants such things fixed but the truth is ugly. Microsoft left non-fatal issues unresolved.
Bob

Collapse -
Damn dirty Microsoft!
by weenoid / November 30, 2009 10:59 PM PST

Thought so. I didn't want to waste anybody's time I was just wondering if there was a known solution to this issue.

I think I will just change it through the registry, shouldn't cause any problems methinks.

Collapse -
When I read that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2009 11:10 PM PST
In reply to: Damn dirty Microsoft!

I thought "I wonder how long they have been in the game?"

No offense intended but to understand all this you need to either have been on this ride since the days of CP/M or prior. OR catch up on software practices where you kill off the big bad bugs and then decide whether to fix the remaining non-fatal errors.

-> There has been very long discussions if Windows should be perfected or not. The usual stances are:

a. Damn right. They should fix all bugs.
b. Damn wrong. No one could afford a perfect OS.

Bob

Collapse -
J drive name
by peacox / December 2, 2009 12:55 PM PST
In reply to: When I read that.

The simple answer to this is to go to My Computer rightclick the j drive select properties and the change the name in the box near the top of the dialogue box, you can call it anything you like, at some time in the past someone called it system.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!