PC Applications forum

General discussion

Drive Image and "another partition"

by BrainBusta / April 14, 2009 11:16 AM PDT

Hello guys,

well recently I created a backup of my system using Drive Image 7 and thank god I did 'cause three days later my OS failed. I don't really have the CD to boot into and I don't have another internal hard drive to install Drive Image into so that I can restore my backup from my external hard drive. So my question is... would the following plan work?

Install XP and Vista into a dual boot configuration, boot Vista and install Drive Image 7... start Drive Image 7 and restore the backup from my external hard drive to C:\ drive (which is where XP is likely to install to... and Vista at D:\).

I think this plan has a chance because I read that you can restore a backup from a drive that isn't active with the operating system (or something similar) without having to restart. But it doesn't say anything about partitions.

Also is it true that you have to have the exact same hard drive from which you craeted the backup to restore to it? Although I do have the same hard drive I just need to know for future reference.

Thanks alot guys, really.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Drive Image and "another partition"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Drive Image and "another partition"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Drive image restoration...
by John.Wilkinson / April 14, 2009 11:36 AM PDT

"Install XP and Vista into a dual boot configuration, boot Vista and install Drive Image 7... start Drive Image 7 and restore the backup from my external hard drive to C:\ drive (which is where XP is likely to install to... and Vista at D:\)."
-> Note that Windows XP will recognize itself as being on C: and Windows Vista on D: while Windows Vista will recognize itself as being on C: and Windows XP on D:. The operating system will always report the drive it is on as being C: since it is relative, not absolute.

"Also is it true that you have to have the exact same hard drive from which you craeted the backup to restore to it?"
-> Absolutely not. Having the same motherboard can be critical, but other hardware changes rarely create a significant hurdle, and the hard drive doesn't matter at all.

"So my question is... would the following plan work?"
-> I have my doubts. Drive Image 7 does not officially support Windows Vista and, unless Drive Image 7 is able to modify the MBR while Windows is running, it will either require the partition setup to be identical to the previous or it will error out and state you have to restore from outside Windows. Without the bootable CD, though, it may be worth the attempt.

John

Collapse -
Hmm I see...
by BrainBusta / April 14, 2009 4:36 PM PDT

Oh that makes sense now... no wonder the drive letters keep changing.

Thank god...I thought I read somewhere that you do have to have the same hard-drive. What I don't understand is why would the motherboard have to be the same?

Oh yeah damn! Well I'll try running it by going into the "setup.exe"'s properties and setting it into compatibility for "Windows XP (SP2)".

You seem like a professional of some sort, if you have any advice for me in this matter plese suggest.

Thanks!

Collapse -
DAMN IT!
by BrainBusta / April 14, 2009 7:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Hmm I see...

Man... it seems Vista just doesn't support it. I started the program and was told that some dependency service couldn't startup or was marked for deletion... whatever that means.

Any ideas on what to do?

Collapse -
Neither the MB or the HDD have to the same to do an
by VAPCMD / April 15, 2009 2:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmm I see...

image restore. That might be relevant for RAID but not otherwise.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Thanks for tryin' but...
by BrainBusta / April 15, 2009 2:47 AM PDT

Thanks for the post man. But I don't think its gonna help as my situation has nothing to dop with RAID.

So I'm screwed huh? Why the hell did symandick discontinue that product I'll never know.

Collapse -
Depends...
by John.Wilkinson / April 15, 2009 9:44 AM PDT

What service is it reporting is not started? Hope may not be lost...

On the other questions:
-> Symantec used it as the foundation for Norton Ghost...it was about adding new functionality and putting 'their own touch' on a product acquired from a former competitor.
-> The motherboard is crucial because (1) OEM licenses are forever locked to the motherboard once installed and (2) even with retail copies of Windows, the required drivers for the new motherboard have not been installed, causing Windows to fail to boot at least half the time. If you have a retail copy, you may get lucky and have it simply work, but the odds are against it.

John

Collapse -
Well...
by BrainBusta / April 15, 2009 10:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Depends...

I don't really remember what service it was... but the odds for Drive Image to work are extremely low as I couldn't find a single source online confirming that Drive Image does work on Vista.

As a foundtion you say?! Then why is it that I've heard that Nortn Ghost is so lame in comparison? Symtantek failed nicely... perhaps?

Well that makes it prety useless then... how is a person supposed to be able to make a copy of their system on another system? Isn't there any way? By retail copy I assume you mean a version of the Windows XP installation CDthat requires you to activate it. I'm not so sure what you meant by retail copy. Guess I need a terminology update.

Collapse -
Random bits...
by John.Wilkinson / April 15, 2009 11:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Well...

"As a foundtion you say?! Then why is it that I've heard that Nortn Ghost is so lame in comparison? Symtantek failed nicely... perhaps?"
-> More or less. Symantec and McAfee alike have a habit of degrading the core functionality of products they buy out.

"Well that makes it prety useless then... how is a person supposed to be able to make a copy of their system on another system?"
-> Acronis TrueImage is what I use/recommend, though Norton Ghost and Norton Save & Restore are valid alternatives.

"Isn't there any way?"
-> If you have another hard drive just laying around, you could use free cloning software from your hard drive's manufacturer to create an exact copy. Otherwise, it is cloning/imaging with Ghost-like products or backing up each personal file individually.

"By retail copy I assume you mean a version of the Windows XP installation CDthat requires you to activate it."
-> Indeed. OEM copies are what computer manufacturers preinstall, giving them additional bloat and fewer rights in exchange for lower cost. You can also purchase OEM copies yourself, without the bloat but still with reduced rights.

John

Collapse -
Hmm
by BrainBusta / April 15, 2009 12:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Random bits...

Well forget anything related to symantek... they just proved to me that they are unreliable. So this "Acronis" program you speak of, is it able to restore your computer regardless of what motherboard/other hardware you have?

My main question now is: "Is it possible to save an image of my computer and return it onto another computer system that's better than my old setup (eg better processor(s), hard-disk(s), etc). If so what program do I need? and what else (if there is anything)".

Thanks man.

Collapse -
Nothing can always do that...
by John.Wilkinson / April 16, 2009 3:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmm

As I said, it is a Windows driver and/or legality issue. Acronis TrueImage, Norton Ghost, et cetera can all restore to any computer. The question is whether or not Windows will run, legally and technically, on that computer, and that is something no cloning/ghosting application can ever change.

In short:
1.) Restore to same computer: always work.
2.) Restore OEM copy of Windows to a different computer: prohibited.
3.) Restore retail copy of Windows to a different computer: 50/50 chance.

John

Collapse -
Oh!
by BrainBusta / April 16, 2009 10:00 AM PDT

Oh I get it now!... all to do with drivers huh... isn't it possible to get the new motherboard's drivers into the image? I'm sure there's a way... guess I'll do some research.

If you have anything to say for that then please do, otherwise I'd like to thank you very much for helping me out!

Collapse -
Not exactly...
by John.Wilkinson / April 16, 2009 1:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Oh!

Drivers have to be installed, meaning files added, files modified, and registry entries added/modified/deleted accordingly. Thus, you cannot just 'add them' to the image. If you know exactly which drivers you need ahead of time, it may be possible for you to install the drivers for the new hardware on your current hardware setup, create an image, then restore the image after the new motherboard and other hardware have been swapped in. This, however, does not work in all cases either, especially when the driver installer checks to ensure the hardware is already present, and it is possible for it to cause your current setup to stop working. You can look into those options, but it is still a coin flip as to whether it will work. You just have to hope you get lucky.

John

Collapse -
Hmm alright then...
by BrainBusta / April 16, 2009 1:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Not exactly...

Well thanks for all the help mate, I appreciate it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.