Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

drive E problem

by clif28 / November 11, 2008 8:36 AM PST

can read cd containing photos. can't read cd from HP containg printer software download.
windows xp ...IE 7

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: drive E problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: drive E problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What happens when you try?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 11, 2008 8:36 PM PST
In reply to: drive E problem

Not sure what IE7 has to do with the problem.

When you insert the HP Printer software CD, does it register in My Computer? If so, right click that drive select "Properties", then in the new window goto the "AutoPlay" tab. In the pull down box select the type of CD it is, and in the Actions section, make sure "Take no action" is not selected.

Or, select the action, "Prompt me each time to choose an action".

Mark

Collapse -
drive E problem
by clif28 / November 12, 2008 1:07 AM PST

did what you suggested. such settings already made. no help.

Collapse -
How did the data on the unreadable CD ...
by Edward ODaniel / November 12, 2008 1:46 AM PST

get on the CD? Was it written with burning software or by drag and drop packet writing? If the latter you need the same packet writing software on the computer attempting to read the disk as on the computer that wrote the disk.

Collapse -
drive Eproblem
by clif28 / November 12, 2008 1:56 AM PST

sorry ...i don't understand. all i can offer is that the cd came with the printer. i was hoping i could reinstall the software in hopes that it would be the solution for my printer problem. i've tried everything else.

Collapse -
Next steps, elimination.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 12, 2008 3:47 AM PST
In reply to: drive Eproblem

Try this. With the CD in the drive and with My Computer displayed, click on that CD drive and see what is displayed. If any contents are displayed, look for a file similar to Setup.exe or Install.exe, or look for a Readme file and open those.

If that fails, then all you can do now is to test and eliminate. We try to do that like this;

1] Try that CD in another computer. If it works in another computer then that points to the CD drive in your computer.

2] Try another, similar CD in your computer. If that works, then this points to a problem with the first CD.

Mark

Collapse -
drive E problem
by clif28 / November 12, 2008 3:55 AM PST

all other cd's seem to work. my problem was in trying to get my printer to work. however ..i've been in touch with HP and they're arranging for anothere printer to be sent.
thanks for your cooperation.

Collapse -
A better idea
by Steven Haninger / November 12, 2008 5:07 AM PST
In reply to: drive Eproblem

Go on line and get the software from the printer manufacturer. It may be newer than what's on your unreadable disk anyway. Burn that one to CD if you wish.

Collapse -
drive E problem
by clif28 / November 13, 2008 5:10 AM PST

to those who responded to my post ..thanks. HP has agreed to send me a replacement printer.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!