PC Hardware forum

Resolved Question

drive cage for my refurbishing as learning continues.

by padyboy / October 20, 2012 1:30 AM PDT

I am continuing to refurb' my dimension 5150 computer which has been discontinued by dell. Last time I will mention manufacturer.

I have an elderly 10GB hard drive (yes, 10GB, from my first ever computer). It is ide so must be mounted in line from the optical drive at the top of the frame. Ide plug and power cable present.
However, I must find way to secure this drive in the computer chassis, or leave it lying on top of the floppy drive.
Does anybody know of a drive cage which will enable me to secure this hd in this computer? I have seen a 3.5" to 5 1/4" mounting kit for sale. Are these generic systems? I would not require front access to this hd. They are inexpensive, but less so when S&H are included. And must be certain I order the correct item.
Thanx.

padyboy has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: drive cage for my refurbishing as learning continues.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: drive cage for my refurbishing as learning continues.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by padyboy

Collapse -
Look into
by Willy / October 20, 2012 4:18 AM PDT

If you're a 10gb HD, then your modest costs may not bode well in the long run. Being that old, you'll have it belly-up if used alot. As all HDs tend to have multiple mounting screw-down areas, you need only -two- to hold it in place. Locate some area in your case and even Dell maybe a low mounting space(though longer IDE cable) so you can make the distance. Yeah, if your old HD is 3.5 size and you have an empty 5.25 space, then a mounting kit as such will work. Some Dell's have a side mounting area, if the 5150 does, check and verify.

I dumpster dive some times at local computer shops and find all kinds of pieces, if I'm lucky and they don't lock it down. You just never know what you'll find. Plus, if your local area has it, use Craigslist and place you "wants" or check for anything free as well. You can ask your local Goodwill and enquire about used PC's and make a bid of offer $ for some items, Sal. Army too. Freecycle may also be part of your area, check the web.

tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
Never had to order such.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 20, 2012 2:08 AM PDT

All I needed were plastic strips with holes in them. One side went to the drive and the other used nuts and bolts to the case.

Are you saying that good old mechanical things like this are no longer possible?
Bob

Collapse -
by padyboy / October 20, 2012 9:26 AM PDT

No.
I just felt I should seek a less "non-technical" solution. The idea of a drive cage sounds so attractive it is hard to resist. Mostly I wanted experience in doing so.
Actually, one of the previous floppies (that again) I installed on this computer had screws which were too long for the frame. I was forced to use common plumber's washers as spacers.Worked ok until the floppy croaked. But to be considered as you have suggested.
Your suggestion is certainly viable and shall be considered in due time.
Actually, perhaps the time is due now.
As always, thanx for you input. Grats once again. Am seeking plastic straps with holes a we... speak?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.