Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

Dreamweaver MX files authored on PC can't be edited on a MAC

by eggboy / April 23, 2004 12:48 AM PDT

Hi All,
Modified some html files on an XP Pro machine running DW MX 2004. Site works fine. Gave all files to friend via CD. He has a Mac OS 10.3 and DW MX V6.0 (not MX 2004)

The site has document checkout OFF, Contribute Compatibility OFF. I checked the file attributes in Windows, and they are not Read-Only

When he opens a file, he gets this message:

"filename.html is a locked file and can be viewed but not changed. What would you like to do with this file?? Then below that are two buttons - ?View? (which is highlighted) and ?cancel?

The same thing happens when he tries to open a file on the remote site.

Weird, yes?

Thanks,

Eugene

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dreamweaver MX files authored on PC can't be edited on a MAC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dreamweaver MX files authored on PC can't be edited on a MAC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Dreamweaver MX files authored on PC can't be edited on a
by lateronj / October 10, 2004 11:03 AM PDT

Did anybody respond to this? I am having the same problem. thanks.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2004 11:34 AM PDT

I don't own or use such. My response is to call it in.

Why? You paid dearly for it.

Bob

Collapse -
by lateronj / October 10, 2004 2:01 PM PDT

call in in? paid dearly? sorry, i don't understand your post. can you elucidate a bit? sorry to be so dull.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 11, 2004 12:47 AM PDT

I'll intersperse my reply.

"call in in?"

Use the phone to contact support.

"paid dearly?"

The money you paid for these products. With that sum of money came books, support and contact information. Since you paid for both the Mac and PC versions, you should be able to get your question answered.

"sorry, i don't understand your post. can you elucidate a bit? sorry to be so dull."

Let me share this little tidbit. I ran into some person that was grousing about some software bug. Turns out they had pirated it and therefore couldn't ask for the patch. Even I wouldn't talk to him about it.

Bob

Collapse -
by artbytes / October 22, 2004 1:51 AM PDT

This has nothing to do with Dreamweaver. It has to do with the fact that the files are on a CD. When Windows writes files to a CD, they become "Read-Only". In Windows you can make them writeable again by right clicking them and choosing "Properties". Then uncheck the "Read Only" checkbox. I don't know how you change this property on a Mac, though. You might try saving them with a different name and seeing if that helps.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.