Question

Drag and Drop in Windows 7 does not function...

Hi everyone.. Thank you for having a look at this question... I have a Dell Studio laptop which has 4GB ram and a core 2 duo processor with a Windows 7 OS.. The problem with this laptop is that, I am not able to drag and drop icons on the desktop nor in the folders... Drag and Drop never functions.. I feel convinient using Drag and drop and now this is a big nuisance for me as I am not able to freely move my desktop icons nor drag and drop the files into folders as and when required.. I also unchecked the auto arrange Desktop in the context menu.. I tried in Safe Mode.. I used a bunch of Registry cleaners, C Cleaners and what not everything.. But I am not able to solve this problem.. Can you please let me know how I should solve this problem...

Also I also have another problem during the Startup of my computer.. Once I start my computer and once all Icons and taskbar come , I try to open any application or any program like IE or Firefox and when I open it, the windows freezes and says not responding.. I try opening "Task Manager " from the Task Bar and and even right click does'nt function... Hence , I feel as if everything freezes up and so I need to hit "Alt+Ctlrl+Del" for opening Taskmanager.. This sounds very wierd for me as I have to do this same operation every time..My configuration is above mentioned and I also share this little info with you.. My hard Disk memory usage is about 268Gb of 280Gb with a single partiotion. Can it be the possible reason for this sluggish nature... I am eagerly waiting for the reply.. I would be very happy for the reply I get.. Thanks in advance...

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Drag and Drop in Windows 7 does not function...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Drag and Drop in Windows 7 does not function...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
It might be time for a clean install of your OS.

Better start preparing:
- find the recovery media
- backup your data and settings

And may I suggest you don't use registry cleaners any more once your system functions again after that clean install back to factory conditions?

Kees

- Collapse -
Alternate Solution

Hiii Kees_B ,

Thanks for the kind reply... I thought of doing that, but the problem is that , I have lot of Data in it and I cannot afford to lose it as I have no other Backup Media other than the existing Hard Drive... So can you please suggest me someother way by which I can come out of this weird problem.. I have lots of important data in it..So, can you please try for another idea... Does Windows Repair work here... Does it remove any data from the existing one... Is there any registry fix for the problem of Drag and Drop... And regarding Sluggishness during startup, is that due to heavy data on the drive as the drive capacity is 280 Gb and I use 268GB with a single partition... So can this be a problem.. Does partitioning of the drive solve the sluggishness of the computer.. Eagerly waiting for your reply.. Thanks in advance....

Harish.

- Collapse -
Re: alternate solution

Having no backup is a risk. Always. So I would advice you to buy an external hard disk as soon as possible and copy all that important data you can't afford to lose to it. Too many people lose their data if their hard drive fails. With a external hard disk being less than USD 100, you might value those data worth more?

Windows repair might work. Or not. And if you do it correctly it shouldn't wipe any of your data.

Partitioning the disk won't make it faster. Buying a larger disk (you can use your existing disk as a backup then!) might help.

Kees

- Collapse -
Ouch.

No backup is a bad idea. One click at the wrong moment and you'll need that backup.

Before ANY fix, it's time to get the backup issue solved. With dropbox, google docs and more, how would anyone lose their last copy of something they can't lose?
Bob

- Collapse -
Back Up

Hii Profitt,

Thanks for the kind reply... I shall use a back up Drive so that I can put all the data I need in that drive and I can then perform a "Repair Install" so that all the Windows files get reinstalled and even if my personal data get erased I can use the backup and retrieve the data back.. Thanks for the kind replies..Happy Happy I suppose partitioning of Hard Drives is a better option? Does it really boost the performance of the computer?? Thanks anyways in advance...

Harish.

- Collapse -
Partitioning turned out to be "phantom security."

Turns out today's malware, and our own gaffes over shadow any security those other partitions might have offered.

Let's just be blunt here. This is usually proposed by those that want to avoid having a second (or third) spare copy somewhere safe. And usually proposed by those that mean well but haven't seen it fail to safeguard those files.

Let's call it "phantom security."
Bob

CNET Forums