HolidayBuyer's Guide

Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Downloading Windows Media Player 11 and WMP 10

by peted6 / June 16, 2008 10:57 PM PDT

Hello All,

Each time I try and download either new media player, I get the error message below:

error creating process <c:\DOCUME~1\PETE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\IXP000.TMP\setup.wm.exe /P:C:\Documents and Settings\Pete#6\Desktop\wmp11 ~windowsxp-x86-enu.exe>. Reason: The system cannot find the path specified

I have tried to download straight from the site, into a folder in my prgram files and to save it to my desktop and run from there.Same message each time.

Windows XP Home Edition - Inspiron 6400

I have also tried to remedy the situation by deleting all files from my C: Windows \ temp folder. 6 files however will not delete, claiming they are in use by another program. 5 of these are 0kb in size and one .DAT file is 16KB.

Please can someone help! I need the program to run Channel 4's On Demand service.

Many thanks.

Pete

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Downloading Windows Media Player 11 and WMP 10
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Downloading Windows Media Player 11 and WMP 10
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Does your account start with a number sign?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2008 10:27 AM PDT

And make sure that these directories exist.

Collapse -
not sure
by peted6 / June 19, 2008 11:49 PM PDT

im not sure what you mean by this?

if you mean my sign in name it is down as Pete#6

This has been the same for 2 years and never a problem before.

Pete

Collapse -
"Pete#6"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2008 11:53 PM PDT
In reply to: not sure

I will not elaborate why this is now but not then an issue. You are more than free to ask why to the software makers but I wanted to share there are known issues when the account name is not "plain".

Again, it's not up to me to tell you exactly why this matters since I didn't write the software. I am only pointing to a known issue. To test this out, create a new account that is just "Pete" and see if it works.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by peted6 / June 20, 2008 12:12 AM PDT
In reply to: "Pete#6"

Thanks Bob for your help,

I will give it a go.

Pete

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.