Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Downloading Screensavers and T hems

by gerette / September 18, 2004 6:25 AM PDT

Hello. I hope someone can help. I have windows xp home. I have successfully downloaded from download.com screensavers using the secure download (CET) only. Now however, I get the box open but it just stalls; I never get the "Yes" option to continue. Can someone suggest anything?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Downloading Screensavers and T hems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Downloading Screensavers and T hems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Downloading Screensavers and T hems
by xcks / September 18, 2004 3:53 PM PDT

GO TO CONTROL PANNEL'S ADD/REMOVE & REMOVE IT.

IT WAS NOT SUCESSFUL,
RE-DOWNLOAD IT & TRY AGAIN.

AS ALWAYS DO A MANUAL SYSTEM RESTORE POINT BEFORE MAKING CHANGES TO YOUR COMPUTER!

GOOD LUCK!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) xcks your cap key is stuck or your yelling
by Mark5019 / September 18, 2004 11:39 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Downloading Screensavers and T hems
by Cursorcowboy / September 19, 2004 1:17 AM PDT
I have successfully downloaded from download.com screensavers using the secure download (CET) only. Now however, I get the box open but it just stalls; I never get the "Yes" option to continue.

a. Screen Saver or Theme?

b. What box is open and stalls?

c. From the following you may learn how to troubleshoot the process used and may also decide that using isn't worth the effort.

1. The article [Q314493] contains information about modifying the registry, describes the step-by-step procedure for how to change the default logon screen saver and specifically how to change the type of screen saver that starts, the timeout before the screen saver starts, and whether a screen saver is turned on before the logon process.

2. Microsoft Plus! for Windows XP:

a. "Plus! for Windows XP Screen Saver Images are Cut Off or Not Displayed Full Screen (Q307665)."

b. "Plus! for Windows XP Screen Savers Appear Without Texture (Q307680)."

c. "You Cannot Change the Screen Resolution at Which Some Microsoft Plus! Screen Savers Run (Q307686)."

d. "Plus! for Windows XP Screen Savers Do Not Appear on Secondary Monitors (Q307687)."

e. "Your Monitor Stays On When You Use a Plus! for Windows XP Screen Saver (Q309048)."

f. "How to Obtain the Latest Windows XP Service Pack (Q322389)."

3. A Desktop Theme is a predefined set of icons, fonts, colors, sounds, and other window elements that gives a desktop a unified and distinctive look, [307855]. Themes can be switched, deleted, created -- by changing a theme and then saving it with a new name, or simply use the traditional "Windows Classic" look.

Note: Themes along with a lot of other components you'll learn to turn off so the computer runs a little faster and less system resources are used, [Q288186].

a. Windows XP Themes are represented by ".theme", which contains an internal pointer to a visual style file ".msstyle", which contains information, such as, bitmaps (skins), colors, fonts, and other style information file types. Microsoft visual style information can take precedence over theme information. XP can use any desktop theme (.theme) file. Classic themes can be present on your computer if, [Q286721]:

(1) the operating system is upgraded from Microsoft Windows 98 with the Plus! desktop themes installed.

(2) the operating system is upgraded from Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me).

(3) Windows XP is set up to dual boot with either Windows 98 or Windows Me.

(4) third-party desktop themes are installed.

b. When applying a Classic theme, a small arrow ( > ) instead of a large arrow ( > ) may be displayed on the More Programs button of the Start menu if any elements which are defined by a Microsoft visual style file are either missing or incorrect. However, it can be observed that under the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties, the Start Menu screen can display a bitmap of the large arrow button regardless of the current theme since the bitmap is not properly updated in some instances and may not accurately reflect a theme change.

c. When browsing for Themes in the Display Properties dialog box, the default folder is different from the default folder where themes are saved, [Q307147]:

(1) The default folder for browsing themes is the Program Files folder.

(2) The default folder for saving themes is the My Documents folder.

Warning Even after going to the My Documents folder and open a theme, subsequent browsing always reverts to the Program Files folder.

d. Supplemental reading:

(1) "Screen Saver Changes When You Change Desktop Theme (Q282471)."

(2) "Internet Explorer Menu Items Do Not Use the Desktop Theme on a 64-Bit Windows XP-Based Computer (Q283181)."

(3) "Plus! 98 Themes Are Replaced When You Upgrade to Windows XP (Q291700)."

(4) "HOW TO: Distribute a Custom Desktop Theme to Users (Q310514)."

4. "Skins" can be had from here.

5. 3D:

a. "The 3D Text or the 3D Flying Objects Screen Saver May Display a Blank Screen (Q302587)."

b. "The Computer Cannot Enter Standby or Hibernate If a Direct3D-Based Screen Saver Is Running (Q306676)."

6. Fixing the dreaded "Parser Message: Value creation failed " at line 472" error. This is a problem with the file shellstyle.dll which is included in most visual styles, "Tips & Tricks."

7. Supplemental reading:

a. "Internet Explorer Menu Items Do Not Use the Desktop Theme on a 64-Bit Windows XP-Based Computer (Q283181)."

b. "Plus! 98 Themes Are Replaced When You Upgrade to Windows XP (Q291700)."

c. "HOW TO: Distribute a Custom Desktop Theme to Users (Q310514)."

d. "PRB: Screen Saver Fails to Run Due to a User32.dll Error (Q182562)."

e. "Migration Wizard Does Not Migrate Passwords (Q281803)."

f. "Description of the Fast User Switching Compatibility Service (Q294855)."

g. "How to Change the Length of Time That Your Computer Is Inactive Before Your Status Becomes "Away" (Q307300)."

h. "Drive's Contents Have Changed: Restarting" Message When You Use Disk Defragmenter (Q310541)."

i. "The Channel Screen Saver May Not Switch Between Channels (Q310838)."

j. "Description of the User State Migration Tool for Windows XP Professional (Q321197)."

k. "Welcome Screen Appears After Your Computer Has Been Idle (Q810607)."

l. "Screen Saver Is Not Password-Protected When You Apply the "Password Protect the Screen Saver" Group Policy Setting (Q815424)."
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?