Mac OS forum

General discussion

Downloading new programs to MAC OS X Tiger

Hi there,

I am a totally new Mac user and am struggling with the concept of these .dmg files that are downloaded to my desktop when i install a new application (example firefox) and then when i try to delete this file after the installation completes it appears the program requires this to run?

What do you typically do with the files after installaion? Is there a default setting someplace that tells the OS to dump and store these some place else in my HDD?

I also dont understand the icon that then gets placed on my desktop of the (in this example) firefox application... it looks like a new drive but its actually how i start the application? is it the equivalent of a link in windows or is that the .exe and my default file save settings are screwy?

Help! I want my Windows Pc back lol

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Downloading new programs to MAC OS X Tiger
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Downloading new programs to MAC OS X Tiger
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
.dmg files

In reply to: Downloading new programs to MAC OS X Tiger

The programs you downloaded should have installed automatically. The .dmg files are what downloaded. You can delete these. Try restarting your computer, then you should be able to delete these files and empty the trash. Sometimes the computer still "sees" these .dmg files as being active until you restart.

Collapse -
.dmg and things like that.

A dmg file is a container for a Disk Image.
When you double click a dmg file, it decompresses and places an icon on the desktop. The icon, as you have found out, looks like a disk icon.
No surprise there, it is a disk and is actually mounted on the desktop. If you open the HD, you will see the mounted disk image in the sidebar.

Double clicking on the disk image can do a few things.
1. It presents you with an installer program and for those you just follow the instructions.
or
2. It presents you with a window that has the application icon and an icon the represents your Applications folder.(the folder has a little shortcut arrow on it)
In the case of Firefox, this is what happens. All you do is drag the Firefox icon onto the icon of the Applications folder and the Firefox application is copied to your Applications folder. This is where you launch it from. Once you have moved it into the correct place, you can go ahead and close the window and drag the disk icon from the desktop to the trash. The original .dmg file can also be trashed.
or
3. Same as 2. but the window only contains the application. In this case, just drag the icon into your applications folder and it will be copied there.

If you want to be able to launch that application from the Dock, open the applications folder and drag the application from there into a suitable place in the dock. Note that the other icons will move to allow you to put the icon where you want it.
Let go of the mouse/trackpad button and an alias (shortcut) is created in the dock.

If you would like all your downloads to go to the same place, open Safari/Firefox preferences and select the download location as the downloads folder.

Does that clear it up a little?

P

Collapse -
More .dmg info

In reply to: .dmg and things like that.

P,

When I download a program on my Mac, the program goes through an auto-install process, but the .dmg file remains on the desktop. I've clicked on the .dmg file only to find out that it repeats the auto-install process and installs the program over the one that was just installed. Of course, before I delete the .dmg desktop file, I confirm that the program does exist in the Application folder.

Dan

Collapse -
Installation and .dmg

In reply to: More .dmg info

A .dmg file should NEVER be allowed to open by itself. It is a dangerous practice and should be turned off.
Consider the well crafted trojan, or other junk, sitting inside a dmg file that you downloaded. Poof, it's installed and you had nothing to do with it!!!

Go to Safari > Preferences and set the "Save downloaded files to:" to the Downloads folder.
Remove the checkmark from the "Open "safe" files after downloading"
That will stop that dangerous practice.

Installers do NOT normally proceed with an install without some input from the user. Accept the EULA or Password is normally required.

P

Collapse -
,dmg and things like that

In reply to: .dmg and things like that.

Thanks for that explanation P - i have finally cleared the junky dmg files away Phew! and everything still works as should be... embarrssinglt easy - me thinks its time to invest in a book on how to use this OS.. any good recommendations?

Collapse -
Downloading new programs to Mac OS X Tiger

When you download an application. You will see it downloading. When its finished you will have the image of a folder,and the application. Then drag the application Icon to the folder,but the d.g.m is downloaded separately to your downloads folder on the Dock. There is sometimes a white Icon on your desktop,click on it,and it should have an option to eject it,so eject it. It`s got the same information has the d.m.g. Then you keep the d.g.m in your files has a backup. I just put them all in one folder in my documents. The same thing should happen when you have downloaded Firefox. The Firefox Icon is in your Applications Folder,then drag the Firefox Icon to your dock. Then when you want to go on the internet,you just click on Firefox on the Dock,and your off. I can understand how you feel,because i have been in your situation. Hope this helps,if not i will tick track this thread,and they will send me an email. OK

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.