Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Downloading mp3 direct from explorer freezes!!

by benshindigger / April 3, 2008 7:57 AM PDT

Hi, i cant find the answer to my question so sorry if this has already been posted but please help!!!

I have just bought a HP laptop with Vista Home Premium. I can download from limewire fine and download programs fine direct from the internet but when i try to download MP3 files direct from the internet the download starts but always freezes after a certain time (always diff) i dont have any firewall, i uninstalled norton so am stuck on what else to do. Much appreciated if someone could help. Ive been trying to download files from sites like if this helps.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Downloading mp3 direct from explorer freezes!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Downloading mp3 direct from explorer freezes!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2008 2:13 AM PDT

I can't count the number of corrupted machines I find that ran limewire. Is there any hope that limewire can be uninstalled, the machine scanned and repaired?

Collapse -
by benshindigger / April 4, 2008 4:09 AM PDT

no still the same without limwire!

Collapse -
Tell what you did after removal?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2008 5:27 AM PDT
In reply to: /

I usually have to run online scans with Trendmicro, Ewido, the usual SFC /SCANNOW and this Microsoft article -> before the machine begins to behave. Sometimes I have to dive into HIJACKTHIS to peel off the remaining pests.

Collapse -
Have you tried other browsers?
by Jeffreybolle / April 5, 2008 7:00 PM PDT

Have you tried downloading mp3s in other browsers like Firefox? Because if the problem persists you'll know the problem doesn't lie in Internet Explorer.

Jeffrey Bolle

Message was edited by: admin to remove signature.

Collapse -
Adding signatures.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 5, 2008 8:15 PM PDT

CNET doesn't allow advertising in these forum posts, either for commercial or private products/sites.

I have asked CNET's Admin to remove the web site signature from your posts.

Collapse -
Sorry about the signature.
by Jeffreybolle / April 5, 2008 9:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Adding signatures.

Sorry, I didn't realise adding a signature with a link was against the rules. Are links to relevant articles on my own site allowed or are those against the rules too?

Jeffrey Bolle

Collapse -
Any site promotion is not allowed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2008 10:56 PM PDT

If you supply a link and it is spot on about the issue it passes unless there is a page there promoting a business or trying to sell your products. It's that simple. You can't advertise for free here.

Collapse -
by John.Wilkinson / April 6, 2008 5:37 AM PDT

As Bob said, the first rule is clear relevance, but you should also be sure that:
1.) You don't post the answer on your website in response to the question and then link to it. Rather, if you see a question that happens to be fully answered on your website it's generally acceptable.
2.) Linking to your own website should be infrequent. If six out of every ten posts are to your own website it's generally labeled adverting/spamming, even if on-topic.

Collapse -
have you tried other browsers?
by benshindigger / April 7, 2008 3:21 AM PDT

Yes ive used firefox as well and it does exactly the same.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?