Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Downloading, etc.

by CoreyP / January 21, 2006 7:42 AM PST

How do i change where my downloads go to? They automatically download to the desktop now, how do i change that. Also, ive asked a few times but havent got a good answer yet on how to make things i download such as mp3s, progs, etc viewable only when im logged on to my account. Like say i download a program while im on my account, i dont want my roomie to be able to use it when he is logged on to his account or even see it. I have admin powers by the way. I hope my question makes sense. But thanks for the help everyone.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Downloading, etc.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Downloading, etc.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
automatically download
by eddie11013 / January 21, 2006 11:33 PM PST
In reply to: Downloading, etc.

Two things come to mind, one is that whenever you click to download anything, it almost always asks you where you want to download/save to, here you select your destination. Secondly, regardless where it is downloaded to (desktop,etc.), it, (program,mp3,etc)can be 'cut'(right click) and pasted to where ever you want, My downloads folder, My Music folder, My Documents, etc.
As to your second question, I don't have a good answer, but I would 'think' that a ''program'' would be seen by all whereas an ''individual'' letter could only be seen by the 'author'. When I am installing a program it 'sometimes' asks if I want everyone to see the program or just a certain user. When you install a program it also asks you 'where' you want to install it. It usually defaults to something like C:\Program Files, this, I think, can be changed to something like C:\Documents & Settings\Administrator. Try it, worst case is it doesn't work and you reinstall to C:\Program Files
Eddie

Collapse -
Downloads
by crazeebob2000 / January 22, 2006 4:35 AM PST

Firefox will let you choose where your downloads end up but, I don't think IE will. Maybe someone a little smarter than me will come along with a solution.

Collapse -
Tools > Internet Options in IE, or
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 22, 2006 5:12 AM PST

Tools > Options in Firefox, depending which browser you are using. I believe from a previous thread you started that you deleted IE, athough you didn't say how.

You need to start exploring the programs you are using. In IE, goto Tools > Internet Options, then the Security tab. Explore the options under ''Internet'', Custom Levels.

In Firefox goto Tools > Options, and click the Download tab/option.

Don't let the computer control you, make it prompt for your decision for things like this.

In the previous thread, here;
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142_7-0.html?forumID=5&messageID=1684983&threadID=151315
you asked the question about restricting others from seeing your files. Questions were asked, but you failed to answer.

You need to learn about Account Management and the information in this post here;
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=27085&messageID=304953&tag=
is as good a place as any to start.

By the way, in the Computer Newbies thread you have been asking about P2P programs such as Kazaa, etc. You need to be careful. If you are downloading programs and mp3's, etc, from such sources without the owners' permission you are indulging in piracy which is probably illegal where you live, and you will receive little help in these forums for such activities.

Be careful of the pests you also get downloaded from such sources.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.