Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

downloading direct to hard drive?

by batesy39 / March 15, 2008 1:12 AM PDT

is it possible to download directly to hard drive? There is stuff out there that is "bigger" than my computer has in it. Top tips? Much appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: downloading direct to hard drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: downloading direct to hard drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes....and
by VAPCMD / March 15, 2008 1:27 AM PDT

more info need re "There is stuff out there that is "bigger" than my computer has in it." Without know anything about your PC...kind of difficult to respond intelligently.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
downloading direct to hard drive?
by batesy39 / March 15, 2008 5:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes....and

sorry. my dell inspiron has a maximum of 15gb of spare space in it, and some things to download are larger than space i have remaining. I wondered if I could go direct to my WD 500gb external hard drive.

Collapse -
Yes, you can direct the download ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 15, 2008 6:42 AM PDT

to any writable mass storage device your computer recognizes as writable.

Exactly how you would browse to the location you want to download to would depend on what browser you are using of what FTP client (if downloading through FTP), but an option is normally available in the "Save as..." dialog box.

Collapse -
I'm intrigued.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 15, 2008 7:27 AM PDT

You say your hard drive has 15GB of spare space left on it. I know some videos and some software programs are very large nowadays, but I can't recall ever seeing anything as big as 15GB

Most software you install or any videos you purchase and save to the hard drive surely are not going to exceed 1GB, or 2GB at the most. So I am unsure why you say the files you are downloading are larger than the free space you have.

Is there some confusion here?

Why not purchase an external drive and move some of your existing personal files such as videos, photos, music, etc, to that, and free up more space on your hard disk? Don't forget you need to back up thos important, cannot be lost files as well, because hard drives whether internal or external can fail.

Mark

Collapse -
Quite possibility
by Willy / March 15, 2008 4:38 AM PDT

Yes, you can but your details are lacking of your system. Under your browser, check the options to make/direct the default download area. -OR- when prompted just before the download to "save to disk" or similar wording. I assume this is a browser issue, again details are lacking.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Re: downloading directly to hard drive.
by Kees Bakker / March 15, 2008 6:26 AM PDT

Yes and no, I'd say.

In Internet Explorer, the download first goes to Temporary Internet Files, then is copied to the folder you specify to download to. Normally, you don't see that so much, but download a 10 Gb file, and you certainly see the message that it's copying.
Even if the final destionation is an external disk, you should have at least the space needed by the file available on your c:-drive, because that's where TIF is located by default.

But in Tools>Internet Options>General you can change the location of TIF to another drive. Change it back after you did this download, otherwise you'll notice a general slowing of browsing.

Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?