Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Downloading AVG free

by coeurdalene / October 12, 2008 6:49 AM PDT

I am trying to help someone download AVG free Anti-virus. She is on dial up with MSN and has Windows Vista. We get to the point where we get a page that comes up with the message: (Now that your download is complete, make sure your computer is safe). The page has a list of all sorts of things such as fire wall, ad ware etc, but not a place to finalize the download. She doesn't want any of those offers they are trying to sell. No AVG icon appears on the desktop or sys tray. I searched the computer for it and went to Add and Remove programs and it's nowhere, but the page says that the download is complete. What did we miss? Thanks

CDA

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Downloading AVG free
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Downloading AVG free
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: download avg
by Kees Bakker / October 12, 2008 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Downloading AVG free
Collapse -
AVG Download
by coeurdalene / October 12, 2008 9:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: download avg

Kees, that is exactly where we did the download. We clicked to download, the computer and it acts as if it's downloading. It is after that that we receive the message,: (Now that your download is complete, make sure that your computer is safe). It is from this page that we can't find anywhere to finalize the download, so that an icon appears and her computer actually has AVG working.

CDA

Collapse -
Are you downloading and ...
by glenn30 / October 12, 2008 9:21 AM PDT
In reply to: AVG Download

saving the installer file to a place of your choice and then installing AVG from there? If not try that. Also if a previous version of AVG was ever on the machine, uninstall it completely first.

Hope this helps.

Glenn

Collapse -
Yep, I agree.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 12, 2008 8:52 PM PDT

For some reason the default of most browser's download options is to "Download and Run". In my view that is very dangerous as you can download and install any sort of malware without being able fully aware of what is happening.

The browser will usually show a small window asking what you want to do, either Download and run, or Save. The Save option saves the file to a default location, (normally My Documents), but you can change that to wherever you wish. If the browser does not offer that option, then you need to check the browser's options to change the download settings.

If you do that now, you may be able to find out where the browser has downloaded the file to, and search for it there.

Also, Vista may be different to XP, (I don't know as I still use XP), with its UAC controls. UAC may be preventing the download to install because of its own security measures.

Mark

Collapse -
Download AVG
by coeurdalene / October 13, 2008 1:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Yep, I agree.

The problem is the little box that says run, save, does not even appear, yet, we get the message that we have downloaded AVG. I just copied it from my computer onto a CD and will try it on her computer and see if that works. Thank you for the suggestions.

CDA

Collapse -
Then you need to look at
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 13, 2008 3:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Download AVG

the browser options, to change the way downloads are handled.

Mark

Collapse -
browser options
by coeurdalene / October 13, 2008 6:14 AM PDT

I don't really know enough about going in and changing things. Can you tell me where I would do this? I looked in Internet Options, but really didn't see anything that mentioned changing browser options.
Thanks.

CDA

Collapse -
In IE7
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 13, 2008 6:46 AM PDT
In reply to: browser options

Tools > Internet Options, Security tab, make sure the Internet globe is selected, Custom level button and a new window opens.

Scroll down to "Downloads" and make sure "Automatic prompting for file downloads" is enabled. For good measure, make sure the next one, "File download" is also enabled.

Keep scrolling down to "Installation of desktop items", and make sure it says, "Prompt".

Next option down, "Launching applications and unsafe files", Ensure this is set to "Prompt".

One of those, probably the first, should now bring up a window for "File download". Here, if you select the Save option, you will be asked where to save the file to.

Other browsers will be different.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
just how good is AvG
by soper777 / December 3, 2008 5:27 PM PST
In reply to: In IE7

I have used the free AVG, but want more protection -- the full program that covers everything.

Since I am going to be buying a program, is there something better than AVG that I should consider.

Soper777

Collapse -
The real question is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2008 10:35 PM PST
In reply to: just how good is AvG

How good are you?

1. Do you click on any link?
2. Do you open every email?
3. Do you run that attachment that arrived in your email?
4. When that web page tells you how great XP Antivirus 2009 is, do you install that?

There is nothing that can protect a machine from all things. Stop looking for that. You are the real protection.
Bob

Collapse -
Check into Avast!
by Vanguard12345-22606096745419013503944888355736 / December 4, 2008 7:23 AM PST
In reply to: just how good is AvG

You should check into Avast. There free stuff is amazing but they also have an upgrade you can buy. I have never tried AVG but I know people who have used it and switched to Avast. The one anti virus to stay away from is Norton. It is insanely slow and misses everything. My parents had Norton and I switched them to Avast and Avast found like FOUR Trojan Horses and some other adware(made me feel real safe). I hope this helps Soper777

Collapse -
AVG VS AVast or others
by soper777 / December 4, 2008 12:26 PM PST
In reply to: Check into Avast!

Thanks -- I will look into it.

Any one else have any ideas the best anti virus software

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?