Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Avast & AVG forum

General discussion

Downloading AVG 9.0

by Starfish564 / February 27, 2010 2:09 AM PST

Hi,

I am currently using AVG 8.5 Free version. I'd like to upgrade to 9.0 Free and am wondering if I need to uninstall 8.5, or will it update itself automatically?

Thanks!

Starfish

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Automatic upgrade
by Dusan_AVG / February 28, 2010 3:47 AM PST
In reply to: Downloading AVG 9.0
Collapse -
It's not working
by Starfish564 / March 2, 2010 5:09 AM PST
In reply to: Automatic upgrade

I clicked "upgrade now" which took me to a link to buy the full package AVG. I am only interested in the free version. So I found the area to download the free version and followed the instructions. I got an error message saying installation could not be completed. Thinking maybe I had to uninstall AVG 8.5 first, I tried to do that. I got another message saying the UNinstall failed. So I deleted the 9.0 install icon from my desktop and tried again. Still would not let me uninstall 8.5. OR install 9.0. I'm getting very frustrated at this point. What do I do now?

Thank you,

Starfish

Collapse -
Full reinstallation
by Dusan_AVG / March 2, 2010 8:32 AM PST
In reply to: It's not working
Collapse -
Tried the reinstall, still not working.
by Starfish564 / March 3, 2010 2:05 AM PST
In reply to: Full reinstallation

I followed the link you gave me and tried to reinstall AVG 9. I got the following error message:

Local Machine: installation failed. Installation: Error Action: failed for registry key HKLM\Software\Microsoft Windows NT\Current Version\ Windows: creating registry key... Access is denied.

I have a Dell Dimension 4600, Windows XP and have been using AVG free 8.5 with no problems up till this point, I just wanted to upgrade. I've about reached my limit however, and if this problem cannot be solved soon, I'll just stick with my trusty old Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Which, by the way, never fails to pick up things that AVG has missed.

Please advise.

Thank you,

Starfish

Collapse -
Registry access error
by Dusan_AVG / March 3, 2010 3:38 AM PST
Collapse -
Thank you
by Starfish564 / March 4, 2010 5:14 AM PST
In reply to: Registry access error

It finally worked! Thank you for that link. This whole process was a bit more complicated then it should be in my opinion, but I'm hoping it will pay off.

I do appreciate that there is a forum like this where users can get help. Thanks again,

Starfish

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!