Download.com Site Feedback forum

General discussion

downloading avg 8.5

by Trump3d-18767979787287171055463420089372 / March 25, 2009 12:33 PM PDT

This is a quickie.

Before downloading AVG 8.5 free edition, do i need to remove the free 8.0 edition or will it simply overide it?

Thanks much, jane

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: downloading avg 8.5
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: downloading avg 8.5
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It is your choice...
by John.Wilkinson / March 25, 2009 10:49 PM PDT
In reply to: downloading avg 8.5

AVG 8.5 should automatically replace the older version, but there's no harm in uninstalling 8.0 first, just to be sure it doesn't fail to overwrite a file.

John

Collapse -
downloading avg 8.5
by johnny2b / April 7, 2009 2:47 AM PDT
In reply to: It is your choice...

I too am trying to download the 8.5 however I keep getting an error: action failed for directory avg8:setting directory access rights. Should I uninstall 8.0 to correct this error and will I be able to download the 8.5? Thanks, Johnny

Collapse -
Downloading or installing?
by John.Wilkinson / April 7, 2009 5:03 AM PDT

That is an installation error message, which would be best addressed in either the V&S or Computer Help forums as this is not specifically a download.com issue.

Regards,
John

P.S. When you repost, be sure to take note of the reminder:
<b style = "font-weight:normal; color:red">Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.</b>

Collapse -
Vista/Norton invalidating AVG and Search & Destroy downloads
by Anntichrist_S_Coulter / April 8, 2009 9:07 AM PDT

Haven't been able to open or run the saved files from downloads of AVG or Search & Destroy, either because of the stupid Norton that came with this computer or because I am trapped in the hell known as VISTA, because my XP-Pro computer EXPLODED. Have tried every end-run I know to get around this crap (downloading Firefox & Thunderbird were OODLES of fun!), but it offers no options as to where to save it or do anything so that it will FUNCTION.

HATE VISTA!!!!!!!!!!! Didn't want Norton, either, that's why I'm trying to download AVG & S&D, because they catch the stuff that Norton & McAfee never do. And stupid-assed Vista makes me STOP EVERYTHING to answer "DO YOU HAVE PERMISSION TO RUN THIS PROGRAM," even when I'm opening Firefox!!!! Any suggestions on how to disable this WebTV-I.Q. crap and do what I need to do??!?!?!

Collapse -
UAC
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 9, 2009 6:51 AM PDT

I don't use Vista but I gather you are talking about UAC or User Access Control.

Google will help you with disabling it, eg How to disable UAC

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Downloading AVG 8.5 etc.
by Anntichrist_S_Coulter / April 9, 2009 4:49 PM PDT
In reply to: UAC

Thanks for the speedy reply. Have been dabbling in the UAC area already today, and if I can't get the AVD/S&D downloads that I need, will definitely hit teh google. Still ******* HATE Vista. I don't care HOW many millions that they sink into marketing this crap, there's a REASON why they're already beta-testing its SUCCESSOR. I swear that they did 98.2, 2000, ME and Vista ON PURPOSE. Just to make us appreciate the GOOD ones even more, and then to listen to our tortured screams of anguish when they take them away, the bastids. If my prior laptop hadn't exploded, I wasn't turning loose of XP until after 7 had been market-tested. Bastids.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
downloading
by debbielstewart / May 4, 2009 8:33 PM PDT

I have the regular AVG edition, but i would like more virus protection. Is the 8.5 edition more protection and do I need to remove the AVG i already downloaded to get the 8.5 version ?

Collapse -
Which regular version?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 4, 2009 9:06 PM PDT
In reply to: downloading

I was using AVG 7.5 before I switched to AVG 8.5, but I believe there was an AVG version 8 in-between.

I would always say Yes to upgrading anti-virus protection. In AVG's case it seems from my own experience and some others, (but not all), that AVG 8.5 hits on performance, especially system startup times, and other instances. But I'm accepting that for now in the hope that Grisoft, the makers of AVG, can tweak it a little.

I've got to say, it isn't completely clear to me whether you should uninstall previous versions of AVG before upgrading, even after reading Grisoft's FAQ here; http://free.avg.com/faq.num-1238#faq_1238

I also read through some of their forum posts and READMEs here; http://freeforum.avg.com/list.php?13

But in my case I completely uninstalled AVG first, then rebooted the system before installing the new version.

One thing to note. Watch the install process. If you don't want their LinkScanner toolbar installed, decline the offer during the install process. Their FAQ tells how.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
Need to uninstall Nortons to run AVG
by bluebird212 / October 5, 2009 8:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Which regular version?

I had to download a tool to unstall McGafee on my other computer when I downloaded AVG. What do I do to uninstall Nortons?

Collapse -
A similar tool?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 5, 2009 9:06 PM PDT
Nortons Removal Tool.

Mark
Collapse -
My Thanks
by bluebird212 / October 6, 2009 6:58 AM PDT
In reply to: A similar tool?

Thank you and I won't duplicate my posts again I'm sorry. I didn't know which one to post. Again thank you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.