Computer Help forum

Question

Downloadg file or attaching to webmail crashes all browsers?

by cheriberry / December 5, 2011 2:39 PM PST

Appears to be an older problem, but with googling, I'm not finding a solution anywhere!!

Using IE8 and FF, downloading files crashes that browser - but only once "browse" is selected to pick a folder to download into. Same crash happens once "browse" is picked when attaching file to comcast webmail.

I'm using Vista with all suggested updates, but it's seems to be reported with Win7 too. It's reported online by Chrome browser users too. I haven't installed SP1 or SP2 onto Vista yet.

I downloaded a new version of FF and that helped because it downloads to a default folder, so you don't have to "browse" for a location.

It started sometime after I upgraded to IE8, but it's since it's not browser specific it shouldn't be a factor.

I used webmail and downloading just fine on an XP computer with IE7.

So it seems to be browser independent, but crashes the browser in use. Doesn't hit error until folder (to select where to put it) is opened. Happening on Vista, but something similar-sounding is reported on Win7 as well. I'm assuming it's a Windows or a common compatablity problem.

Any help would be great! Where would I report this to on MicroSoft's sites and hope for a reply? THANK YOU!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Downloadg file or attaching to webmail crashes all browsers?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Downloadg file or attaching to webmail crashes all browsers?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
PS
by cheriberry / December 5, 2011 2:43 PM PST

I'd install SP1&2 if it would help... but since it's on Win7 too ... that's a lot of downloading to rush to do right now, given that it's not likely to fix it. I do add all the updates suggested, so probably have SP1&2 equivalent.

Collapse -
PPS
by cheriberry / December 5, 2011 2:50 PM PST
In reply to: PS

I'm running Avast fully updated & Spybot. I don't get the sense this is a virus. (I've removed viruses from family's computers I take care of.) None of the googled results indicates anyone's found a virus like this.... and the reports are often from 2009.

Collapse -
Yep, I'd Start By Installing The Latest Service Pack And....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 5, 2011 11:36 PM PST
In reply to: PS

...install those updates too.. Start by downloading and installing the latest video and audio drivers on the computer.. (There were issues when SP1 first came out which required such drivers to be installed.. Next, visit Windows Updates and install the Windows Updates so they're current up to SP1. Next, try downloading the full standalone SP1 installer for Vista from the link below.. (If you can't download it on your current machine, use another which can download correctly, copy the downloaded file to a CD or flash drive, then transfer it the problem machine.) Then install the SP1 package.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=30

Once SP1 is installed, download SP2 from the link below and run it as well. Once that's done, visit Windows Updates again and install all the updates to the present day.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=16468

The service packs fixed a number of issues on Vista computers, including adding support for new hardware and fixes for download issues, and till those have been installed, we won't know if you've got all the pre-requisites taken care of.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
downloading crashing all browsers
by cheriberry / December 6, 2011 1:46 AM PST

"fixes for download issues"

So there werre download issues like mine that were fixed?

I added a bunch of updates and am still trying to sort out all the changes that makes things harder, so the less I update the happier I'll be. I'm another "Vista is crummy" person. Since updating, it even just asked me if I want to let this website use the clipboard. I'm exhausted from all the stupid little bits that have to be read and set and re-set (even my touchpad) from these updates. And no one thing has been improved. Trying to search for a favorite I added last week, and that search tool is useless. It can't find words I'm looking at in the favorites. ...okay just venting now....

But original question - where there actually download issues like mind that were fixed with the SP1&2? Then it's worth trying the upgrades.

Thanks!!!

Collapse -
(NT) Already Answered...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 6, 2011 2:57 AM PST
Collapse -
clarification
by cheriberry / December 6, 2011 3:27 AM PST
In reply to: Already Answered...

I'm just checking that you really did know of download issues similiar to mine... and weren't just throwing that into the list when they were not very similar ones at all (which some answerers on internet will do).

And there is a SIGNIFICANT downside to doing the actions (even answering this it popped up yet another new type of approval box that I will have to track down and turn off.)

I'll assume if you don't answer otherwise, that you are specifically aware of similar stuff, & not a generalist.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
No Downside I Know Of To Updating to The Current SP
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 6, 2011 8:47 AM PST
In reply to: clarification

And Yes, if you'll read my earlier post, I stated: "The service packs fixed a number of issues on Vista computers, including
adding support for new hardware and fixes for download issues, and till
those have been installed, we won't know if you've got all the
pre-requisites taken care of."

There are no guarantees in this world, and whether or not it will actually fix your particular problem, it's a good starting point.. Try the suggestions or not, it's up to you.

By the way, the UAC ("user account control popups" you're seeing) is a good way for users to have an additional layer of security, but if you don't like it, simply turn it off in the Control Panel-User Accounts.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
sigh, yes gotten buckle into this...
by cheriberry / December 6, 2011 11:57 AM PST

Thanks for answering. Also for the -specifics- on how to get SP1 & 2 installed. Every upgrade has left a trail of problems, and I'm managing 3 people's computers all with different issues, so I'm getting cranky... so very sorry about that.

I don't think the new popups are "user account control popups." I turned that off when I first got the computer. It's not the same as those messages, and shouldn't have turned itself back on just because I downloaded a bunch of suggested updates... On looking at that...even control panel is now missing any options across the top to change size of icons (& they are large), or even to switch to the non-classic view.

Just checked and UAC is still off. It's asking permission to put to clipboard when I go to paste what's in clipboard, but no option to turn it off in the popped up box.

Okay, I need to stop writing here, and go work on fixing this, now that everyone else's computer is pretty settled & their asleep. Just wanted to say thanks for the reply.

Collapse -
And You're Sure It's Not Malware Infected?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 7, 2011 12:03 AM PST

Your recent post makes it appear as if the computer is infected.. It would explain the popups and also why you're having "a trail of problems". If the computer has malware, it will be tough to install the service packs correctly.. If you haven't already, please download, install, update, then run a full system scan with both of the free malware removal tools below.. It will take a while to finish the scans, but it will also tell you whether you have a malware issue:

Malwarebytes Antimalware

SUPERAntispyware Removal Tool

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Fixed I do declare!
by cheriberry / December 8, 2011 6:53 AM PST

Okay - made progress!!

The download problem appears to be fixed!!

Also the clipboard question was an IE box, and I just found the tools... options...advanced....security setting that undoes that prompt. No idea why it newly was coming up with recent updates.

After several rounds of Windows Updates, which apparently failed though never reported so to me (just showed in the update box I'd have to specifically open). ....Which must be why I wasn't getting the usual prompts for more updates and SP1. Those originally updates were finally were successful after a couple more tries.

So then SP1 appeared but didn't install, until yet another round of updates suddenly appeared. But now SP1 is installed. It's prompting for more updates, after which, I figure eventually SP2 will be offered eventually. I need to computer for now, so I'm holding off at least until tomorrow.

None of the problems felt like malware. More like programming conflicts. They were consistent glitches, which viruses generally aren't until they are fun or additive programs -- like taking away your screen view or something. Not some "crashing when pasting from Word into particular online webmail programs," but not crashing if same text is first pasted into Notepad to remove the coding.

So -- THANK YOU!! I wouldn't have plowed ahead to SP1 if you haven't giving links to it and ideas that this kind of problem had been addressed. I really wouldn't have expected this severity of problem to be not addressed sooner or SP1 mentioned as the fix at least one in awhile online! (Generally I'd found with Vista for a long time, just doing nothing, no "big updates" was the best way to avoid the endless disasters MS kept creating with it.)

So rambly again, but this did the trick!! I'll be back after SP2 or if I run into trouble installing it.

So I'll need to find a few "new" re-settings to undo, and a few slow moments as it recalibrates itself. And enjoy seeing less glitches!

Thank you Grif!!!!!!! Happy

One more odd thing happening -- I'm hoping is an artifact. Just before all this, my plug seems to keep shaking loose so it switches to battery. So 1 I don't know why the plug is suddenly lose but nothing I can do about that. Meanwhile, though the battery had been fine even 3 weeks ago, but with the first shake is losing life exceedingly fast. Maybe 10 minutes for what used to be an hour plus. (HP's DV6000 series). I set up a no action power plan, and plan to run it to completely off and see if it lasts after it gives the 5% warning... or recalibrates. Batteries die, but I thought usually a little more gradually... and not just before the power cord starts using the battery. (...it all gets distracting when it happens all at once.) I'm not going to test until later on. Any ideas?

Collapse -
Answer
Re: crash
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 8, 2011 6:12 PM PST

Seems like it's something in the OS, not in the browsers. Could be, for example, a bad shell extension or malware. Unlikely to be a Microsoft caused problem, so unlikely they will help.

The best solution seems to start all over. A clean install of Windows Vista (from the DVD + driver CD's or the recovery media). Then install your antivirus and try again. If OK, immediately install all service packs and security patches. After that, start installing all other applications and restoring all your data from your backup.

Kees

Collapse -
It was the OS
by cheriberry / December 9, 2011 12:07 AM PST
In reply to: Re: crash

Happily without a clean install, just finally getting to SP1, fixed the problems! The battery problem is not likely related. Any ideas (described at end of my last comment)?

I have a bunch more updates to do to get to SP2 and still to load SP2.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!