iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

General discussion

Downloaded IOS 8 Big Mistake...

Jumped the Gun and Updated to IOS 8 on my ipad2... Learning the hard way, should not have been so eager .. Should have waited it out .. Aside from occasionally Freezing up when composing an email.. YouTube , should I wish to advance while watching a video to tap the white dot can be an exercise in futility.. Once I've found the sweet spot if you will drag the dot along , but then sound & continuience hangs up..What's Wrong... If there was a quick and easy way I could Erase or Revert back to an earlier date to my original IOS 7 I'd do it in a New York Minute, problem is I suffer from the Fat Finger Syndrome and sometimes dig myself deeper . Help would be Appreciated, Cheers Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Downloaded IOS 8 Big Mistake...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Downloaded IOS 8 Big Mistake...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For now I wait.

In reply to: Downloaded IOS 8 Big Mistake...

"Here we go again. Every major update causes suspicious slowdowns in older iPhone and iPad types."

There may be updates to fix issues that folk have on older pads but at over 3 years a lot has changed in CPUs and more. The only good news is your pad is still working.

OK, https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+go+back+to+ios7+ipad+2 seems to find how to go back.
Bob

Collapse -
IOS 8. Grrrr

In reply to: For now I wait.

i get the Impression the Touch Pad feature if you will has gone Off Kilter...

Collapse -
My advice is not about fixing it.

In reply to: IOS 8. Grrrr

Either wait for updates or go back. As the system is closed source, you can see why.
Bob

Collapse -
Update yanked.

In reply to: My advice is not about fixing it.

Collapse -
New update.

In reply to: Update yanked.

Collapse -
Update withdrawn.

Collapse -
Is it safe now?

I received, in September I think, on my I-pad the update of IOS. I failed to install it because of a confusion, all mine, about the passcode requested. But then I heard that one was better off without it, so I left it uninstalled. And in fact my wife on her I-phone had some dysfunctions as a result of the new software, plus she lost all her photos and clips, thinks they are there somewhere hidden. I now have a queue of 30 apps asking to be updated to run with the new iOS.

So, simple newbie question - it is now safe to install this iOS8.0.2 that is waiting?

How to find the lost photos in my wife's iPhone?

Collapse -
Is it safe? PS

In reply to: Is it safe now?

I should have said this is an I-pad 2 as people talk about 'older models' (but then so am I!).

Collapse -
I updated my iPad2

In reply to: Is it safe? PS

without any fuss although I have to say that sometimes it appears to be slower but that could just be the wireless network it is connected to at the time.

Keep looking. The Pictures are there somewhere

P

Collapse -
Update

In reply to: I updated my iPad2

iOS 8.1.0 restores the Camera Roll

P

Collapse -
1. In case anyone from Apple reads.

In reply to: I updated my iPad2

I wish.
Twice or more it has prompted me to upload (to my i-pad 2) new version with name I couldn't distinguish from the old. 8.0.1 I think.

Advantages: the only improvement perceptible to me is an improved predictive writing. It sets out a few options and sometimes you can complete a word without writing it all. It knows about some words I often use. Even idiosyncratic (it just did that!) ones like e.g. usernames of posters I contend with on forums. But it is still not as good as Word at guessing what I mean to say. Because of thenscreensize I often run words together like I just did, and it cannot itself disentangle even the above example.

OTOH it still has the freezing syndrome so that if I write a post as long as this I have to write it on the notepad, otherwise I might write a page and then lose it. But often enough, one doesn't do that and loses work which is infuriating.

My wife took her i-phone in to an Apple store and they were able to recover the photos for her. She too has just received and intimation to update again, and she will not do it till she has saved all her photos elsewhere. My bil was not so lucky, the store lost a lot of his, those that were not or maybe were on the Cloud. He is not best pleased and wants me to translate an aggrieved letter henisnwritingntonApple ("No Replacements Found").

In the store for my wife's problem when I asked the guy about my I-pad he said I could get a discount on buying a new model and more or less agreed they were making the old ones unusable so as to sell new ones. When they started "planned obsolescence" I think with cars in the 1950's it was more like fashion and new features - they didn't actually place bombs in the old ones. Sad

Collapse -
They still don't

In reply to: 1. In case anyone from Apple reads.

and saving your stuff before upgrading has ALWAYS been the advice.

Nothing new there

P

Collapse -

In reply to: 1. In case anyone from Apple reads.

The moderators all know this:

"We only lose what we don't backup."

Applies to just about anything.
Bob

Collapse -
ios 8

It seems like iOS 8 has some bugs that needs to be ironed out. I've uploaded my iPad Air but I have decided to wait on my 5s. I liked the way the phone currently functions and I'm in no rush, especially with all the bugs that seem to be popping up.

Collapse -
Download IOS 8 Big Mistake

In reply to: ios 8

I think that IOS 8 is still very buggy. It's probably worth waiting a while. Let them iron out some of the problems so you don't have to keep uploading the patches.

Collapse -
(NT) You will still have to download ALL patches

In reply to: Download IOS 8 Big Mistake

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.