HolidayBuyer's Guide

The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Download-/Upload-o-meter - does it exist?...

by shawnlin / June 3, 2008 11:47 PM PDT

Download-/Upload-o-meter - does it exist?...

I've gotta imagine there'd be some way to figure out your internet usage metrics, right? Do anti-virus programs keep track of this?

Best,
Shalin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Download-/Upload-o-meter - does it exist?...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Download-/Upload-o-meter - does it exist?...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The Belkin N1 Router
by Renegade Knight / June 4, 2008 4:48 AM PDT

Tracks some of these metrics. There are likely programs that do the same.

I'm interested in what program on my computer is talking to who's server and for what purpose. Somewhere I read that a guy with a fresh install of Vista found his computer talking to a homeland security server. I'd like to know what software he used to do that. I'd like to shut down all the bandwidh sucking chatter so only the programs that do something useful for me are the ones talking.

Collapse -
For metered bandwidth...
by DaveBinM / June 4, 2008 10:03 AM PDT

most ISPs here in Aus give you a site/page to log in to to see your usage. Usually over 24 hours, weekly or monthly. Aside from that, ISPs usually send an e-mail to you when you are approaching your limit. So it's something that seems to come along with metered bandwidth.

Collapse -
Satellite does it now
by milkky / June 5, 2008 2:51 AM PDT

Or, at least, Wild Blue does. I have a page to go to which has a rolling 30 total for up/and down.

BTW--the useage cap for their basic plan = 7.5GB/month. The max plan is still, at most, 20GB (doing that from memory, may be lower. Made the 50GB cap in hte Cable experiment sound pretty darn good!

Collapse -
hmmm...makes me wonder about "calibration", etc...
by shawnlin / June 5, 2008 3:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Satellite does it now

hmmm...makes me wonder about "calibration", etc... I mean, I would assume that *all* data going to your modem would be counted. But if not, then this brings up issues of "calibration", "prime/preferred content" etc. of which the customer base can suggest to the cable company, but the company will have to ultimately decide on...

Collapse -
Yes it does
by Astinsan / June 5, 2008 3:30 AM PDT

Most cable modems have a trouble shooting ip address. I have a Motorola Surf Board and I can connect to its internal status screen at the ip address 192.168.100.1 ... shows my current ip address and all of the logs are on there too. Then there is the regular old router. I have many of them and all of them show how many packets have passed over the WAN as well as the internal lan and wifi.

It is very easy to keep track of this information.

Collapse -
Helloooo.... Download.com?
by punterjoe / June 5, 2008 12:38 PM PDT

I'm with Shalin. Where's the taskbar widget that tells me accumulated bandwidth usage log? I know someone's done this. I just don't know who. Hey, if my insanely dumb mobile phone can do this, I'm sure my brilliant PC could.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.