Computer Help forum

General discussion

download saved to desktop but will not open

by mbdns / August 8, 2008 8:53 AM PDT

I downloaded ad-aware 2008 from c-net and saved on my desktop. It is file aaw2008.1.2D0D17.efw, opens with HIPS Email Attachment Helper, and is 18.2 MB from properties page. I right click on icon, click open, cursor works for 5-10 seconds then stops. I changed opens with to Internet Explorer and tried again. It opens a new window then closes it. Still wont open/run program. What next?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: download saved to desktop but will not open
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: download saved to desktop but will not open
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: download saved to desktop but will not open
by Tufenuf / August 8, 2008 9:53 AM PDT

1notech, Have you tried just double left clicking that icon?

Tufenuf

Collapse -
download wont open/run
by mbdns / August 9, 2008 12:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Wrong file. . .

Double click does same thing. The link takes me to the same download page as original file. When asked to save to desktop it says already have filed saved, do you want to overwrite file. Both files are .efw. It seems to me that cnet is downloading wrong file?

Collapse -
Re: download wont open/run
by Tufenuf / August 9, 2008 12:38 AM PDT
In reply to: download wont open/run

1notech, Right click that efw file, choose Rename and change the efw extension to zip and you should then be able to run the file by double clicking it.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
More info
by Tufenuf / August 9, 2008 12:59 AM PDT
In reply to: download wont open/run

1notech, Computer Associates (CA) antivirus products are well known for renaming compressed files to EFW. Just rename that file you downloaded as I stated in my previous reply.

aaw2008.1.2D0D17.efw

Rename it to:

aaw2008.1.2D0D17.zip

All you have to do is change the last 3 letters.

Tufenuf

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?