Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

download problem?

long story here--I'm running 98SE/IE6/MSN9/Messenger with 128Mb/100 bus system. I've been having two problems (1) not being able to run one particular website's virtual tour (realtor). It keeps saying I need a java enabled browser. I download Java as instructed and it won't work (works on every other website tho). After reading through all reviews on cnet I thought maybe I should check my macromedia shockwave updates. Sure enough there was a new update and I installed it. (I checked this because I was having trouble with cnet site loading sometimes -(getting a MSN explorer "experience problem-shut down" message) thought I needed updated flashplayer. When I finished installing new update on MSN home page, the system showed the IE home page and started re-downloading flashplayer. I stopped it (by closing), the screen reverted to MSN home page and installed flashplayer (I restarted my computer and I assume all is well.

(2) Why did flashplayer want to install twice?I have my IE home page URL as runonce.msn (default upon reinstalling IE6) I've also been having trouble with msn startup page popping up/msn messenger trying to sign in.(as well as delayed sign out of msn) I've run McAfee and SpySweeper (all is fine)Am I missing something about the IE/Msn setup? I'm totally lost. Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: download problem?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: download problem?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Mej, About Installing Twice...Possibilities...

In reply to: download problem?

Maybe you accidently opened the flash installer twice. Maybe MSN requires a specific flash type and the first time wasn't the right version. Because MSN Explorer and Internet Explorer are "cousins" maybe they got confused and opened the same program twice. You may know better on which of these "maybes" caused the minor issue.

If you still need help and getting the virtual tour to run correctly, try downloading and installing the updated Microsoft Script Engine from the link below. It might fix the problem:

Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, and Windows NT 4.0

After that, make sure that Java is enabled in Internet Explorer by opening the Control Panel, double click on "Internet Options" icon, then click on the "Advanced" tab. Scroll down and if you've downloaded "Sun's Java", make sure the box is CHECKED to "Use Java...", then click on Apply", then OK. If you've installed "Microsoft Virtual Machine", make sure that the "JIT Compiler for Virtual Machine is enabled". If you have both installed, although they both normally can be CHECKED, try UNCHECKING the "Microsoft VM" box to see it it's causing the issue.

To disable the auto-signin for MSN Messenger, maybe the fixes below will help:

1. Open msn messenger
2. Go to Tools --> Options --> General.... and disable "Automatic sign in when connected to internet"

And if you're using WinXP...

To prevent MSN Messenger from automatically signing in using a registered Microsoft Passport account: click the Start button -> click Run... -> type: control userpasswords2 -> hit Enter or click OK -> click Advanced tab -> select Manage Passwords -> delete all Passport entries -> click OK/Apply.
Then run MSN Messenger -> sign in -> type your passport, e-mail address and password -> uncheck the "Sign me in automatically" box -> save your settings and close MSN Messenger.

Have you tried opening Internet Explorer, Tools, Internet Options, Content tab, "Autocomplete" button, UNCHECK "User Names and Passwords"?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thank you

In reply to: Mej, About Installing Twice...Possibilities...

I checked (since I had run Belarc) and found I have the correct windows script 5.6 installed. I did everything else you said except uninstall and re-install the SunJava program again. It takes so long with my wonderful 56K. Hopefully after I do that I shouldn't have any problems. I don't understand why that particular virtual site keeps blocking me and everything else (including game sites that MSN advised me to visit to check--works.) Anyway, thanks for your help--I also disabled my content advisor since the ratings bureau installed was defunct. Maybe one of these days I'll get this 98SE running tip top. Thanks again.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!