HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

DOWNLOAD PROBLEM

by grandpaw7 / October 9, 2004 3:53 AM PDT

I am using a computer with Windows 98SE that has just been reformatted and on which I have just downloaded MS Works.

I want to see what YMCA basketball team the two kids I mentor are on. So, just as I have done in the past, I go to http://www.ourleaguesite.com/misc1.asp?eID=MPD . Then, I go to the bottom of the page and click on Fall II Basketball Team Listing . In the past, when I did this, the information opened up for me to read. Now, for some reason, when I click on Team Listing I do initially get the window for that Listing site and it looks like it is going to display the info when it suddenly gets replaced with the File Download dialog box. So I go ahead and click Save and I get a Download Complete message showing the info is save as ?Alphalist 930 bball.xls from www.ourleaguesite.com ?, downloaded to C:\My Documents\team.xls. When I first did this and I got that box that asks what to open the item with or in. Without knowing for sure what to do, I clicked Wordpad, and I suppose that that item about using that all the time was checked, though I actually didn?t notice. Anyhow, when I look at the item in Wordpad, I see a bunch of hieroglyphics.

I don?t understand why the list doesn?t just open up on my screen when I click on it, as it used to do, instead of taking me to the Download box. And I don?t know what I can to to get the list to display in English.

This same kind of thing has happened a couple of times this morning where I was at a website and clicked to open something and instead of it opening I get the File Download dialog box. I am not wanting to download the info to my hard drive but just look at it on the website.

I would appreciate any help. Thank you. grandpaw

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DOWNLOAD PROBLEM
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DOWNLOAD PROBLEM
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: DOWNLOAD PROBLEM
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 9, 2004 4:01 AM PDT
In reply to: DOWNLOAD PROBLEM

Grandpaw,

A .xls file (the one that you're trying to open) requires Microsoft Excel to open. (I believe OpenOffice will do it too) If you don't have the appropriate program to open the file, it won't open correctly. Wordpad can't "decode" the file correctly.

You'll need to install Microsoft Office, etc.

I'm sure the other problem is similar. A brand new installation of Windows 98 won't have all the needed programs, drivers, etc. UNLESS you install them.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: DOWNLOAD PROBLEM
by billzhills / October 9, 2004 4:19 AM PDT

grandpaw

In IE6 or Firefox the file download box should give
you an option, Save to Disk or Open this File.

IE uses buttons, easier to see and use.
Clicking on button performs that action.

Firefox uses radio buttons (small circles with black dot) and is harder to see. With Firefox you must make a selection before clicking OK.

The incorrect file association (wrong application) will display your hieroglyphics. To change this, select file -> hold down "shift" key and right click. You will now have a new option "Open With". Excell is the application for the team file.

Does this help?

Bill

Collapse -
Excel viewer
by Kees Bakker / October 9, 2004 4:31 AM PDT

Grandpaw,

People shouldn't post xls-files on the Internet for general use. They better convert it to html (which, by definition, is understood by 100% of the browsers) or possibly pdf (which is rather standard also, although you need to download at least 10 Mb of Acrobat reader to be able to read it).

What you need: Microsofts free Excel viewer!
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4EB83149-91DA-4110-8595-4A960D3E1C7C&displaylang=EN

Note:
"This viewer may open some spreadsheet files created with later versions of Excel. However, not all features of Excel 2002 and later versions are supported, so we do not recommend using the Excel 97/2000 Viewer with these files."

However, Microsoft never took the trouble to make a Excel viewer that can open more than 'some' spreadsheets created with Excel 2002 or Excel 2003. But I don't think this is limitation for the files you want to read.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Thank you, gentlemen
by grandpaw7 / October 9, 2004 6:20 AM PDT

I had a Quick View Plus installation disk which I hadn't yet installed (because I thought I wasn't getting any use out of it before, which I now realize was likely not correct), so when your replies clued me in that I needed something else to read the stuff, I installed Quick View and that did the trick. grandpaw

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.