Computer Help forum

General discussion

Download problem?

by prairiepalmeri / June 23, 2007 6:58 AM PDT

I am trying to download War Rock from Download.com. The download will make it roughly 56 mb through the 605mb download when it says complete. I go to my desktop and click the .exe file when Windows says that encountered an error and needs to close. I think it is because IE wont download the entire file, but I'm not sure how to solve this.

I'm using IE7 (if needed use firefox, opera, etc.)
Not using a download client.
If I need to provide any more info just let me know, thanks

Nick

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Download problem?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Download problem?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
try
by tylersmiller / June 23, 2007 8:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Download problem?

try another browser. Try Firefox, that has a client so you can pause downloads and resume them if needed. IE 7 has no such thing. so give that a try and reply with what happened.

good luck

Collapse -
Thanks
by prairiepalmeri / June 23, 2007 1:57 PM PDT
In reply to: try

Thanks, Ill try that. Before I read this reply I tried downloading another file and IE said that the operation had timed out. I forgot to mention earlier that I am running Windows xp sp2

Collapse -
Still a problem
by prairiepalmeri / June 23, 2007 2:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

I finished installing firefox and downloaded the file. This time it downloaded 89mb out of the 600mb. When I execute the file, I get the same error. I DO have a broadband connection which goes through a router.

Collapse -
prairiepalmeri
by tomron / June 23, 2007 3:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Still a problem

Have you tried another download site,LINK

Maybe theres a problem with windows installer.

Tom

Collapse -
like tomron said
by PudgyOne / June 23, 2007 6:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Still a problem

you may have that problem or you may need to use a download manager.

I use a FREE download manager. It can be downloaded here

http://www.download.com/Free-Download-Manager/3000-2071_4-10578059.html

If you get disconnected, you can start where you left off. I used to have CompuServe, sister company of AOL and they always disconnected me.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Collapse -
It worked!
by prairiepalmeri / June 24, 2007 12:32 PM PDT
In reply to: like tomron said

Using the download manager worked. It also downloaded the file quicker. I'm now in the process of installation. Thanks for ALL your help.

Nick

Collapse -
Thanks for posting back
by PudgyOne / June 24, 2007 2:26 PM PDT
In reply to: It worked!

Glad you got it fixed.

Rick

Collapse -
do
by tylersmiller / June 23, 2007 10:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Download problem?

you have a setady internet connection. is it hardwired to a router or modem, or is it wireless? if it is wireless, big files like that might not work b/c the stream could cut in and out.

Collapse -
Thanks
by prairiepalmeri / June 24, 2007 4:47 AM PDT
In reply to: do

Ill give all your ideas a try, My computer is connected directly to a router, which is connected to the wall. I do NOT use a download manager, which I will try. I HAVE tried another download server from the games web site. This problem does NOT just affet this problem, it ALSO affects downlaods of great size. I also have been tracking the transfer rate which averages around 65kbs/sec.

Again thanks for your help,

Nick

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!