Download.com Site Feedback forum

General discussion

Download gets interrupted for large files.

by spanicker / November 30, 2008 7:22 PM PST

Recently I was trying to download the NFS MW demo from CNET. I was totally frustrated to see after 6 hours of download (ofcourse wasting my sleep) from the site with 1% left to complete CNET threw a 404 (page cannot be found) error making it a huge waste of time and resources. Now I have a 546.81 MB file of no use because of this. Can there be a resolution for such issue? This really makes people to do downloads from CNET.

Why does this happen?

(I believe I took the wrong decision by trusting download.com more than EA site itself).

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Download gets interrupted for large files.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Download gets interrupted for large files.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What type of internet connection do you have?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 30, 2008 8:01 PM PST

Also, no details of your system, PC or MAC, Windows? XP/Vista, Mac OS?

If you mean the Need for Speed Most Wanted demo at;
http://www.download.com/Need-for-Speed-Most-Wanted-demo/3000-7518_4-10459686.html
then that is a huge file, 544MB, and if you have a dial-up connection you are going to struggle whichever site you try to download from. One small error in the continuous download checksum and the download halts with an error, so this is not necessarily a problem with Download.com but with your internet connection.

However I notice that on my own 10MBS broadband connection I am only getting 20-30Kbs when I attempt to download this file, and at that speed it will take over 6 hours. Since I am not willing to wait that long just for a demo, I cancelled the download.

It seems the Download.com severs may be busy, so if you have a broadband connection you may do better downloading from another source. If you have dial-up, perhaps a friend could download it for you and burn it to a CD?

Mark

Collapse -
I have a broadband connection.
by spanicker / November 30, 2008 8:18 PM PST

Mark, since its such a huge file I will dare not to download it with the dial-up connection. Mine is a broadband connection with the same speed u have mentioned and I use WinXP-32.

I didn't get why the page not found error is thrown at the last moment of the download when almost 99% was done. I agree that I am complaining abt those brainless machines but this is something very odd. Download.com should look into their server issues which is happening quite often nowadays.

Collapse -
For those large downloads...
by John.Wilkinson / December 1, 2008 1:03 AM PST

Downloads of that size are generally not hosted by Cnet. Instead, Cnet reviews the content and then in the future redirects to the file on developer's server or some other authorized mirror. I cannot say if that is the case here, but it may not be Cnet's fault.

Also, for downloading large files it often pays to use a download manager that offers the ability to resume paused/broke downloads. Some managers/accelerators will cause the inability to download any files from various servers, including Cnet, and may cause corrupt downloads, so it is a tossup, but Firefox with the DownloadThemAll extension works flawlessly here.

Hope this helps,
John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!