HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

download error message for Office 2007 update

by geralda / December 16, 2007 1:28 PM PST

Memory: 1GB, Hard Drive:120GB, Vista Home Basic, Office2007Home

I have Vista Home Basic and have had nothing but problems.The most recent one is that when I try to download the most recent Windows Home Office 2007 Service Pack 1,it downloads to about 4% and then I get an error message: 80072EFE. I have gone to the MS support but they are of no help.
I had had no trouble with AUTOMATIC updates of MS until I changed it to be notified before downloading->manual download because the downloads kept shutting off my computer without notification while I was using it which was very annoying and expensive since I have dialup and pay per call.

I would appreciate any help you can give me on this.

Thank you
geralda

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: download error message for Office 2007 update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: download error message for Office 2007 update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
a reply to: download error message for Office 2007 update
by danthevan / December 16, 2007 7:53 PM PST

hi there try this

1. Click the Start button . In the Search box, type Command Prompt, and then, in the list of results, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.

2. In the command prompt window, type

fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\.

(This assumes that C: is the drive in which Windows Vista is installed. If Windows is installed on another drive, change the drive letter accordingly.)

3. Restart your computer.

4. Download and install the update again.

also what firewall are you using??

post back dan

Collapse -
Thank you,dan
by geralda / December 17, 2007 2:06 PM PST

I appreciate your detailed advice.

But before I follow it,please read my reply to Grif below. Do you think that the problem may be because of the Vista security download which may have interfered with the Norton Security program which I am using?

One more question,--If it is the Vista security update,will your suggestions re "command prompt" address that too.

I am really computer naive so I am fearful of changing things for fear that they will make something else go wrong.

Again, thanks

geralda

Collapse -
Tried Installing It Manually?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 17, 2007 6:43 AM PST

If you've got a high-speed internet connection, the full SP1 installer can be downloaded to your desktop, then installed manually by simply double clicking on the file.. It's a large file, about 218 MB but I've burned it to a CD so I can install it on other machines if necessary.

The 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 1 (SP1)

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
That's when I thought the problem started
by geralda / December 17, 2007 1:57 PM PST

As mentioned in my first post,the problem seemed to start after I switched to manual instead of automatic. However,after some more searching,I found the update history and it seems that the error in MS downloads started after "Security updates for Vista KB941568 and 69" were successfully downloaded. As far as I know,I was using Norton Internet Security2007 and not the Vista security because I read somewhere that you could not use both and I have had good luck with Norton. I guess it is possible that the Vista security update is what is interfering.

Unfortuantely I do not have a high speed connection. I only have dial up.
Thank you for trying to help,Grif.

geralda

Collapse -
Tried Downloading the File On A Friend's Computer?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 17, 2007 11:21 PM PST

Burn the file to a CD, then transfer it to your machine. It should install correctly then.

Because SP1 is extremely large, whether done automatic or manually, you're going to have issues when using a dial-up connection.. Get the whole installer file on a CD and you should be able to install it.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I am confused.
by geralda / December 18, 2007 7:40 AM PST

Are there 2 parts to the Security pack download? Won't it be just as difficult to download it to a CD as to my computer if I only have dial up? When I was trying to originally install the Service pack,it did not ask me where I wanted it installed. How would I put it on a CD?

Sorry to be so dumb. Thanks for your patience

geralda

Collapse -
CD Burning....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 18, 2007 9:10 AM PST
In reply to: I am confused.

Did you read the title of my post? It said: "Tried Downloading the File On A Friend's Computer?"

So....While on a DIFFERENT computer that has a broadband internet connection and a CD burner, use the link I listed earlier to download the SP2 installer file to the desktop.. The file when downloaded fully will be about 200 MB.. Using the CD burner software on the computer, burn the 200 MB file to a blank CD.

When that's done, place the CD in YOUR computer's CD-Rom drive and open the drive.. If it doesn't automatically open to show you the contents of the drive, then open "My Computer", then double click on the CD-Rom drive.. You should then see the 200 MB file on the CD.. Double click on the file and it will install Service Pack 1.. You will NOT NEED an internet connection at that time.. The entire Service Pack can be installed from the downloaded file.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Sorry, I guess I missed your title
by geralda / December 18, 2007 9:24 AM PST
In reply to: CD Burning....

Thank you for your detailed explanation. I will try it when I can find someone with a CD burner and broadband. As a very senior citizen, most of my friends don't have this stuff.

geralda

Collapse -
Follow up
by geralda / December 19, 2007 11:00 AM PST

Thanks to all who tried to help.

I really believe that Vista is haunted.

I decided to try once more to download the update automatically and lo and behold it loaded. Why, I will never know.

As you said,it took all night to download via dialup but I now have it.

Again thanks. This forum is great. It is always so helpful for us naive ones.

geralda

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.