Computer Help forum

General discussion

Download buttons don't show on IE in new systm

by jsolera / September 30, 2005 2:47 AM PDT

Just recently I got a new Dell desktop. In this system (running XP SP2 as well as IE 6.0 SP2) download buttons in both Adobe and Apple's iPOD web sites do not show up. In scanning the code, it looks like both of them are trying to run Javascript, but I'm not 100% certain.

I also have the XP firewall as well as the McAfee firewalls installed. I've set the site to be trusted. Still, no download buttons.

They do show up on my older laptop, which is running XP SP 2 and IE SP2. The one difference I've seen is that the new system does not show Microsoft VM in the Advanced tab of Internet Options. I've tried changing a number of the entries that seem might impact, with no result. Query to Adobe has not been answered (haven't found a way to ask Apple on their site).

Anyone has a solution?

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Download buttons don't show on IE in new systm
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Download buttons don't show on IE in new systm
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
One minor suggestion, use only "one" firewall
by eddie11013 / October 1, 2005 1:47 AM PDT

they tend to confict with each other. That's what I have seen mentioned on this forum on numerous occasions. I'm sure someone else will come along with some more helpfull advise
Eddie

Collapse -
Jsolera, Try This...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 1, 2005 10:25 AM PDT

..Install the newest 1.4.2 Java and Windows Script Engine using the instructions below.

Click on the link to Sun's Java below, then click on the "Download Windows J2SE JRE" download link that is in the "J2SE v 1.4.2_09 JRE includes the JVM technology" section. Download the full "Windows Offline Installation" file to your desktop,(about 15 MB), scan it with your antivirus (just to be sure it's clean), then shut down all background programs, including your antivirus, then run the installer.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

AFter that, download and install the updated Script engine from the appropriate link below:

Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 2000 and XP

At the link above, you'll need to validate your version of XP which isn't a problem as long as its legal.

After everything is installed, then open the Control Panel, double click on the "Internet Options" icon, then click on the "Advanced" tab. When that loads, scroll down to the "Java(Sun)" section and make sure there is a CHECK mark next to: "Use Java,....". Click on Apply.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks! 50% fixed
by jsolera / November 6, 2005 12:23 PM PST
In reply to: Jsolera, Try This...

Grif,

Thanks. Finally got to your recommendation. It fixed the problem with the Apple site, but not with the Adobe site. Any other ideas?

Jose

Collapse -
Jsolera, Then Please Make Sure...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 7, 2005 12:47 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks! 50% fixed

...that ActiveX controls are enabled like this: Click on Start-Control Panel, then double click on the "Internet Options" icon. When that loads, click on the "Security" tab, then click on the "Internet" icon (the world globe), then click on the "Custom Level" button. When that screen loads, make sure the "Reset to" line at the bottom of the window says: "Medium", the click on the "Reset" button. Select "Yes/OK" when the window asks: "Are you sure?"

In addition, you may need to disable the "Pop Up Blocker" on Internet Explorer. Open IE, then click on "Tools" in the upper left, choose "Turn OFF Pop Up Blocker".

If that doesn't help, then please give us a link to the Adobe site you're having problems with..In addition, you stated that the download buttons don't show up..Is it just a screen resolution problem? Is there a placeholder/red x where the download button is supposed to be or is the download button off the screen somehow?

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?