Alert

Download AVG from Cnet

Hi, I'm trying to download AVG and several other anti-virus software to work out which one best suits my purpose. I've tried downloading AVG and others from CNET (AVG, AVAST and so on). Every time I download the file from Cnet and save it, then run the file. I get the following error mess

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Download AVG from Cnet
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Download AVG from Cnet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Just thought I'd add

Just thought I'd add .. I'm using a HPE 64bit .. I also tried downloading avg_free_x64_all_2011_1382a36669.exe from AVG website, the filw downloads but when I try to run the file I get "Extraction failed - the file is corrupt"Can't imagine the file would be corrupt coming directly from AVG website, but maybe .. Might try different anti-virus such as Nortons or Sophos, if their free trial downloads maybe I'll go with theirs and buy full version?

- Collapse -
Re: Download AVG from Cnet

Hello magp1es01,

- Collapse -
Hi Ondrej_AVG

I ran both tests, the HDD test gave no errors;

1451771903 KB total disk space.
39154852 KB in 108814 files.
64156 KB in 26886 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
284179 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
1412268716 KB available on disk.
4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
362942975 total allocation units on disk.
353067179 allocation units available on disk

I ran 30 of the Mem tests with no errors. I downloaded the file avg_free_stb_all_2011_1382_cnet.exe

I saved the file then tried to run but get "the corrupt file error.

If I DONT save it I run it from Cnet, the installer starts up. I select "basic"install, because I want to eval before I buy. I'me then prompted for quick install, I select the default quick install and next, then next again. It starts downloading the required install files but the download keeps restarting at random places. IE "downloading (105.3MB of 150MB)" then "downloading (27.2Mb of 150Mb)" this then increments to what appears to be a random amount .. "downloading (124.7MB of 150.0MB)" and the whole process starts again "downloading (21.7Mb of 150Mb)" but after an unknown amount of retries (because I didnt keep count) and about 4 hours of trying to download the file, I gave up again.

- Collapse -
Re: Download AVG from CNET

Hello magp1es01,

- Collapse -
file link
- Collapse -
RE: file link

Hello magp1es01,

Please try to delete this folder:
C:\ProgramData\MFAData\pack

Then delete this file:
C:\users\ian\desktop\avinstall.exe

Also run Windows update and install all available updates and restart your computer.
Do not skip this step, make sure Windows is fully updated.

Afterwards, proceed with AVG full reinstallation instructions.

If it still does not help, provide us with both GMER outputs and with fresh installation log files.

Note that some folders could be hidden by default Windows settings. To view hidden files and folders please read How To Display Hidden Files And Folders.

Thank you

CNET Forums