Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

download and webpage load speed

by JimPyne / December 11, 2007 11:53 PM PST

I recently got broadband high-speed internet and not long after, my desktop's (XPpro SP2) web page and download speeds have slowed to almost a stand still. My laptop which runs Vista Home Premium on the same connection DOES NOT experience the same slowness - so it can not be the connection.

I've tried firefox and IE and seen no difference. I have programs that use the internet connection that often time out. Programs such as the game installer and updater Steam.

I had a PCI network adapter installed before this became a problem and I tested both it and the integrated network adapter on the motherboard - no change to the problem. I have since removed the PCI adapter thinking that it was causing an error somwhere - again, no change to the problem

I've run a few different free anti-spyware and anti-virus utilities that did find a couple things but have not cleared up this particular problem.

By the time I got to System Restore, there weren't any saves on a date prior to when this starting happening.

I haven't been able to get Safe Mode with networking to really get networking - I launch Firefox or IE and it goes straight to "Page cannot be displayed"

What could this be? A virus that was not detected or my motherboard going bad?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: download and webpage load speed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: download and webpage load speed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A rather long discussion about this ended with...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2007 11:57 PM PST

"Oh, I had installed a special HOSTS file."

Are there any items you can add to your post?

Collapse -
?
by JimPyne / December 12, 2007 12:12 AM PST

Hosts? Not that I am aware of. I see what I can find.

Collapse -
Let's try some of the usuals.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2007 12:32 AM PST
In reply to: ?
Collapse -
yup
by JimPyne / December 12, 2007 1:06 AM PST

I did those things again - cleaned up all drives and cleared the temp files and all that usual maintence stuff again.

After several minutes of loading the speakeasy test webpage the results for my desktop are as follows:
619kbps down 373kbps up
compared to my laptop (which loaded the page in an instant)clocked in at
6757kps down and 362kbps up
I don't think it's the connection. Both of these machines are connected with cat5e to the Linksys router which is connected to the Linksys cable modem.

Collapse -
You haven't given many clues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2007 1:09 AM PST
In reply to: yup

But try the usual WINSOCKFIX to toss out other usuals. There could be issues with those that run 2 firewalls but I see no big clue in your posts so we just try the usuals.

Bob

Collapse -
Generic Host Process for Win32 Services encountered problem
by JimPyne / December 12, 2007 1:56 AM PST

Winsock seemed to work - for 2 minutes.

Now when the computer boots to the desktop I get two errors:
one for svchost.exe memory read error and the one behind it is
Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encounted a problem and needs to close.

Now, anything network related appears to freeze the system short of being able to restart from the task manager.

Collapse -
That's a great clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2007 2:13 AM PST
Collapse -
Thank You
by JimPyne / December 12, 2007 2:23 AM PST
In reply to: That's a great clue.

Thanks for all your help

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?