Question

Downgrading from Vista to XP, asms files needed. What next?

Working on a Gateway T 1629, partition portion finished (1 partition), then says it needs asms files and to insert XP sp3, which is already in. It's set to boot from cd, but it won't start over the installation. how can I just start from scratch? Is there a way to install the needed files?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Downgrading from Vista to XP, asms files needed. What next?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Downgrading from Vista to XP, asms files needed. What next?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Re:asms file

Seems to be a bad cd or a bad drive. Replace both, erase the drive with DBAN (free download) and try again.

Kees

- Collapse -
cd drive

I have another cd drive, it is a usb one. How can I make it boot from that drive? There is no usb option in boot sequence.

- Collapse -
Link shows replacing the internal drive.
- Collapse -
comp keeps shutting down

Well, I got the cd drive to work with a little cleaning, (thanks for the info), now it says press any key to boot from cd, reformatted hard drive, copied all files, reboot, showing Win XP startup, then either reboots again or shuts down. Is something not set up right in BIOS?

- Collapse -
There are a few common causes.

1. The machine has not been maintained. If the owner does not know what canned air is, you schedule the machine for a deep cleaning.

2. The machine is not compatible with XP. Most modern PCs use SATA hard drives which XP does not natively support. There are over a million posts about that so I'll stop here.

Too bad Gateway did not document the BIOS screens as there is usually a SATA/ATA setting we can try but it appears you have to take screen pictures if you want more help. Use Photobucket.com or similar to share.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
The most common reason for the ASMS message I know of

Is a dirty old CD or old drive. This file is not missing but is a sign there are issues with the host PC.

To start from scratch is supported. At about step 5 (link in a bit) you simply delete the old partition and start fresh.

-> http://www.blackviper.com/os-install-guides/windows-xp-home-install-guide/

But your question does raise some concern. If you can't figure out this step, I fear you may want to get the PC maker to supply a step by step for the drivers and more. Here's an example install.
http://forums.cnet.com/7726-7587_102-2699006.html

With 10 drivers to find and hidden on a secret (?) FTP site, how would an everyday owner get this done?
Bob

CNET Forums